[SOLVED] Replace OS SSD with new SSD

paul1987

Honorable
Jul 11, 2014
As I'm trying to install my new samsung 970 EVO plus, I found out the M.2 socket 3, key M for SSD (PCIe x4) "expansion" slot in my mobo is actually a replacement slot (or I am completely missing an empty slot).
I have an HP OEM Erica 2 mobo, I checked the HP support page for this mobo, seached for hours for similar threads and solutions but haven't found one yet.
My OS is currently installed on the stock 256GB NVMe M.2 SSD which has to be removed for my 970 EVO plus to be installed. I also have a 1TB Toshiba HDD installed.
My question is; how should I deal with the OS and all files saved on my current SSD. Basically the SSD's are similar, the EVO just has a larger storage capacity so compatability wise I see no problems.
Can I simply migrate my SSD to HDD and "re-migrate" the files and OS to my new EVO SSD?

Solution
Many thanks! Sorry for pushing it a bit but if I get it right I use Macrium reflect to create a rescue USB and the Image and store it on my HDD flash drive. I'll use this to boot up my system after I replaced the SSD and "copy" the Image on the new EVO. So I dont actually have to use my internal HDD for anything right?
The Image gets saved on whichever drive you choose.
Either the internal HDD or the external.

Boot from the Rescue USB, and tell it where that Image is, and which drive (the new SD) to apply it to.

paul1987

Honorable
Jul 11, 2014
Wow, you are quick! And I just found (sorry for overlooking it earlier) a reply you made earlier on a similar thread. Quoted it below.
The HDD files are completely redundant, i could clear it. It currently has around 800 GB of free space (current total SSD files are around 230 GB).
If the steps written below are the best option, I have one question; how would I boot up from the resque USB, could that also be my current HDD?
Or should an external storage device?

EDIT: I also own a 1 TB external HDD
__

Actually, going from NVMe->NVMe, not much problem.

If you have sufficient free space on any other drive, we do it with an Image in Macrium Reflect. Nothing else need to be purchased.

Just like this:
  1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
  2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
  3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
  4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
  6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
  7. Recover, and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new m.2
  8. Go, and wait until it finishes.
  9. That's all...this should work.

paul1987

Honorable
Jul 11, 2014
Many thanks! Sorry for pushing it a bit but if I get it right I use Macrium reflect to create a rescue USB and the Image and store it on my HDD flash drive. I'll use this to boot up my system after I replaced the SSD and "copy" the Image on the new EVO. So I dont actually have to use my internal HDD for anything right?

USAFRet

Titan
The Image gets saved on whichever drive you choose.
Either the internal HDD or the external.

Boot from the Rescue USB, and tell it where that Image is, and which drive (the new SD) to apply it to.

Reactions: paul1987
Solution