Question Replaced CPU, but it acts up

DanRO1313

Reputable
Feb 20, 2017
I just replaced my CPU from an A8 6600K to an X4 860K..After replacing, I didn't fully push the cpu in and it didnt give any input, then i fully fixed it in place and it worked, booted and installed all drivers, but failed on Audio (maybe because I had the speakers off ?)..I restarted because Win told me to, and it failed to boot (no input, but lights were working)..I let it sit for a bit to cool, boot again with speakers on, it failed, turned speakers off, it worked, and now I turned speakers on after boot, listening to music on youtube and it suddenly froze and restarted by itself, but again, didn't want to boot even after turning speakers off..What should I do?

EDIT: Booted again with speakers off and it worked, typing this from the PC, I suppose this is audio related?

DanRO1313

Reputable
Feb 20, 2017
Asrock FM2A68M-DG3+
Nitro+ Rx 470 4GB
16 gigs 1600mhz Ram
X4 860k
1TB 7.2K HDD
Thermaltake Smart 630W

X4 860k and my old A8 6600K have the same power consumption, and my PSU has had absolutely no issues in the two years I used it

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Nothing wrong with the old one
And no, I didn't
Then try the old cpu, if you haven't already, because the x4 860k isn't an upgrade over the old one if that's what you were aiming for: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-hierarchy,4312.html (both cpus are in the 4th tier section)
You can also try updating the bios as j121 suggested from Asrock website.
Reinstalling windows may also fix it, but you will need to backup your important files on the C drive as it gets wiped clean in the process.

DanRO1313

Reputable
Feb 20, 2017
Do I just download the newest BIOS version for my mobo ? The latest version is just an exe that I run

EDIT: I upgraded BIOS, but it does the same thing, now I get lucky and it boots randomly..I suppose reinstalling Windows is my only option ?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

as mentioned above, that cpu you WANT to use is not an upgrade from the A8 at all. please return to the old cpu assuming it's not been damaged.