Replaced GPU and PSU and am getting 3 beeps on boot up!

Jonathan Wheeler

Reputable
May 1, 2015
So I recently bought the "HAWK R9 270x" GPU and a 650W PSU and placed them into the correct spots in my PC. When I boot up my PC I get 3 beeps and the fans and lights come on. i have found that 3 beeps means there is a problem with the RAM so I reseated both of my 4 GB sticks and tried removing and reseating the GMOS (not sure of name, the oversized watch battery looking thing). Also, my USB ports are not seeming the get power, lights on my keyboard/mouse not coming on. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: When replacing gpu and psu didnt touch the ram and it worked before, everything worked before except my graphics card was glitchy, hence the replacement.

EDIT 2: Here's a picture upurs.us/view/65015

(Wouldn't let me use link tool on my iPod :/) after I turn on the power, all fans going and graphics card light is on, later I'll try to get a video of the power on.

Solution
do you know anybody with a modern computer that is less than 4 years old that you can borrow a stick of 2 or 4gb ram so you can test?

if you try to start the computer with NO ram sticks in the dimm slots will it give you the same 3 beeps? obviously you wont get past post, just a test though.

Jonathan Wheeler

Reputable
May 1, 2015
yes, i get the same result when i remove the card and when i remove the ram.
NOTE: not everything is hooked up to the power supply, whenever i connect the system fans and go to turn it on the lights come on for a split second then it just dies. I also dont have the CD ROM connected

do you know anybody with a modern computer that is less than 4 years old that you can borrow a stick of 2 or 4gb ram so you can test?

if you try to start the computer with NO ram sticks in the dimm slots will it give you the same 3 beeps? obviously you wont get past post, just a test though.

Solution