[SOLVED] Replaced PSU, now no boot device?

tlonsbury

Honorable
Jul 24, 2014
TL;DR I replaced my PSU and my pc has power but does not boot.

I was having an issue with my PC shutting down randomly while under load, so I just replaced the PSU. It immediately began having an issue detecting any storage device, but would allow me to access BIOS.

After hours of trying different combinations of SATA cables/ports, it recognizes the SSD, but after POST just shows "reboot and select proper boot device". I can't imagine its somehow not bootable, it was working earlier and no software changes were made. I also tried resetting CMOS with a button on the mobo, and even removed the coin battery for about 15 minutes.

There is a red BOOT_DEVICE_LED, which I understand to mean an issue with the boot drive, that is on until that reboot error. I don't remember seeing it in the past.

The only change I made was disconnecting old PSU, and connecting the new PSU (it was shut down and disconnected from power of course).

My build (I know some parts are old, they will be upgraded post covid):

Asus maximus extreme-z 4 mobo
Intel i7 2600k 3.4ghz CPU
2x4 Corsair Vengeance RAM
Asus 1060 6gb Strix GPU
Corsair RM850x PSU
Samsung 500gb 850 EVO SSD

Thanks in advance for your help.

edit: I also have a Western Digital HDD. When replacing the SSD with this, it behaved similarly except it goes straight to repairing windows, fails, and restarts. This drive should also be bootable.

Last edited:
Solution
IDE is old technology and is not used for anything since MANY years ago. I can't recall the last time I saw a motherboard with an IDE controller on it, new, but it was at least 12 years ago. There should never be anything other than AHCI enabled in any modern BIOS unless you are running a RAID array.

As to the boot partition being on the HDD after installing to the SSD, I already asked about that BESIDES which, if that was the problem, then the system would boot normally so long as the HDD was connected as well as the SSD. Since the problem occurs regardless of whether it's just the HDD, just the SSD, or with both connected, we can pretty well rule out it being an issue of a misplaced boot manager.

And, I really have a hard time...
Are you using the cables from your previous PSU? Or did you, initially?

If so, what was the model of the PSU that WAS installed and what is the model of the PSU that is installed NOW? I'm assuming the RM850w is what's installed now but I like to know for sure rather than assume.

tlonsbury

Honorable
Jul 24, 2014
Are you using the cables from your previous PSU? Or did you, initially?

If so, what was the model of the PSU that WAS installed and what is the model of the PSU that is installed NOW? I'm assuming the RM850w is what's installed now but I like to know for sure rather than assume.

My original PSU was an Antec HCG 900w, which isn't modular at all. The corsair RM850 is the new one. Everything connected now is from the new PSU, even the power cable to the wall.

And at no time did you try to use ANY cables that didn't come WITH that RM850x, correct? Just making sure, because the last three or four threads I've worked that involved the PSU being replaced and storage devices not working afterwards were because those individuals had used modular cables that that did not come with the power supply and had different pin outs.

tlonsbury

Honorable
Jul 24, 2014
Correct. At no time was the Corsair PSU connected while a single older Antec cable was in use. After disconnecting and reseating all of the cables a time or two, I did disconnect the Corsair RM850x entirely and reconnected the Antec HCG900w. The issue persisted so I went back to the Corsair.

Small update: After giving up, I came back about 24 hours later and it successfully booted from the old HDD. The SSD was visible in file explorer, but using BIOS to force boot into SSD it attempts and goes to #2 on the list, which is HDD.

What could have possibly made my SSD not bootable if I never touched software?

Try disconnecting the HDD from the system, ONLY connecting the SSD, going into the BIOS and on the Exit tab choose the option to load the optimal default settings. Once loaded, save settings and exit the bios, then go right back into the BIOS after the system resets, go to the BOOT settings and see if the drive is visible. Technically, the primary boot device SHOULD probably be Windows boot manager, not a particular drive, unless CSM and various legacy settings were enabled when the OS was installed on that drive originally. Try booting without the HDD attached and if that fails, then try reconnecting the HDD and see if it will boot.

Was the OS cloned to the SSD from the HDD or did you do a CLEAN install of Windows on the SSD when it was added? Was the HDD connected to the system when the OS was installed on the HDD?

I'm not sure why your SSD isn't booting if nothing changed from previously but I'd also try changing the SATA data cables out AND try connecting the SSD to a different SATA header on the motherboard.

tlonsbury

Honorable
Jul 24, 2014
I just tried this and it doesn't seem to have changed much. Oddly enough there is only one option for boot order, which has not always been the case. I have it set to SSD. The SSD has consistently been visible in BIOS, and even shows in command prompt under Diskpart list.

It behaves as if the SSD just has a bad copy of Windows, but is otherwise fully functional. I can boot into the HDD and even run programs stored on the SSD.

From what I remember, I set the SSD up with a fresh copy of Windows originally, not a clone.

I have tried switching SATA cables and motherboard headers extensively, does not seem to resolve.

I think at this point my best bet might be to just back up my data and wipe the drive.

Any idea the best way to save my data from the SSD so I can reformat and restore without losing anything?

Since the drive doesn't boot now, then there is no process for "restore without losing anything" that would be able to put it back exactly as it is now without also putting back the problem that it has now.

Anything that was important SHOULD have been continuously or at least periodically backed up, all along. Realizing you need to back things up after the fact, and there will ALWAYS be plenty of opportunities for "after the fact" because failures are not a rarity when it comes to computer systems and hardware, isn't particularly helpful.

If you have another desktop system you can use Macrium reflect to make a clone of that drive to either a partition on a different drive, or a different drive, to restore it from later on, in the event that the problem turns out to not be fixed by a clean install.

Danymq

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Check the BIOS, which mode are you using? SATA, AHCI, IDE?
Also check the priority order of your boot devices. (choose the proper drive)
Also If you had installed windows in your HDD, and then you installed windows in the SSD with the old windows still installed, there is a chance that the boot manager is still placed in the old HDD.
So... if playing with the priorities and the modes doesn't fix anything, try using an USB with windows, try the auto recovery options and that should do the trick fixing the boot manager.

If you ask me, seems like a bad BIOS config rather than a hardware problem.

tlonsbury

Honorable
Jul 24, 2014
Since the drive doesn't boot now, then there is no process for "restore without losing anything" that would be able to put it back exactly as it is now without also putting back the problem that it has now.
I actually work with macOS for a living and do a lot of troubleshooting so I get the importance of backups. I have documents, photos, and irreplaceable data cloud saved, but I hate the idea of having to redownload programs and change settings.

With macOS, however, there is an option for reinstalling the entire OS, even if it is removed/corrupted/damaged while keeping user programs and data. I'm trying to simulate that here with backing it up before reinstalling since the drive is still fully accessible from the HDD Windows. (I can even run programs stored on the SSD).

To your point I may have to just bite the bullet and wipe it

Check the BIOS, which mode are you using? SATA, AHCI, IDE?
Also check the priority order of your boot devices. (choose the proper drive)
Also If you had installed windows in your HDD, and then you installed windows in the SSD with the old windows still installed, there is a chance that the boot manager is still placed in the old HDD.
So... if playing with the priorities and the modes doesn't fix anything, try using an USB with windows, try the auto recovery options and that should do the trick fixing the boot manager.

If you ask me, seems like a bad BIOS config rather than a hardware problem.

As far as I can tell it has always been AHCI, but I have also tried switching to IDE which does not resolve. The only other option is RAID which I've never used. In the SATA configuration it even shows the SSD and its model and size.

In the boot order I only see 1 option which is set to the SSD, and if the HDD is connected it will add a second option and allow me to change the order. No Boot Manager option, which was there the other day.

Originally I had only the HDD, and installed windows to the SSD when I got it, so both drives were bootable but I just used the HDD as extra storage. I've been using the SSD for like 5 years though, could the boot manager suddenly be moved?

Danymq

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
I actually work with macOS for a living and do a lot of troubleshooting so I get the importance of backups. I have documents, photos, and irreplaceable data cloud saved, but I hate the idea of having to redownload programs and change settings.

With macOS, however, there is an option for reinstalling the entire OS, even if it is removed/corrupted/damaged while keeping user programs and data. I'm trying to simulate that here with backing it up before reinstalling since the drive is still fully accessible from the HDD Windows. (I can even run programs stored on the SSD).

To your point I may have to just bite the bullet and wipe it

As far as I can tell it has always been AHCI, but I have also tried switching to IDE which does not resolve. The only other option is RAID which I've never used. In the SATA configuration it even shows the SSD and its model and size.

In the boot order I only see 1 option which is set to the SSD, and if the HDD is connected it will add a second option and allow me to change the order. No Boot Manager option, which was there the other day.

Originally I had only the HDD, and installed windows to the SSD when I got it, so both drives were bootable but I just used the HDD as extra storage. I've been using the SSD for like 5 years though, could the boot manager suddenly be moved?

Okay so lets discard the BIOS config (which btw I didn't read the entire replies, so if you haven't tried clearing the bios settings you should try). Aswering your last question, that happened to me in windows 7 many years ago, realized that because one day I removed the extra drive and caused me that same problem when booting.

the solution was easy, used windows usb download tool, put an ISO in my pendrive, started from the USB, then I selected the recovery menu, after that I just let the automatic recovery to do its job, when it finished I rebooted my PC and it worked.

Now if that doesn't work, there is a tool called EasyBCD which is free if you register for non commercial use... though I used it many years ago, so I don't remember well how to repair the boot drive, I think you can creat a booteable USB with EasyBCD.

IDE is old technology and is not used for anything since MANY years ago. I can't recall the last time I saw a motherboard with an IDE controller on it, new, but it was at least 12 years ago. There should never be anything other than AHCI enabled in any modern BIOS unless you are running a RAID array.

As to the boot partition being on the HDD after installing to the SSD, I already asked about that BESIDES which, if that was the problem, then the system would boot normally so long as the HDD was connected as well as the SSD. Since the problem occurs regardless of whether it's just the HDD, just the SSD, or with both connected, we can pretty well rule out it being an issue of a misplaced boot manager.

And, I really have a hard time seeing how replacing the PSU could cause that anyhow. Either there is more to the story than we know, whether by unintended omission or not, or something maybe got zapped while disconnecting or reconnecting the power supply.

Of course, given the age of the hardware, especially where the motherboard is concerned, it is not especially surprising for there to be a coincidental failure. Often there is something just barely hanging on that does not make it through the process of changing hardware. It's really NOT that uncommon, and actually we see it quite often to be honest.

I think the important question here, that has not been asked, is WHY were you replacing the power supply in the first place? You were replacing it because it was "shutting down under load" but that VERY MUCH might have not been the power supply at all, and was perhaps a motherboard or other issue. So replacing the power supply may not even be relevant to the problem you are having, because there was clearly a problem BEFORE it was replaced and you replaced the power supply with the assumption that it was the problem, but there is a very good chance that it wasn't and that it was the motherboard all along.

In fact, it sounds a great deal like it WAS the motherboard, to me. It's very possible that there is a failing capacitor or other component on the board that is not working, intermittently, or that the storage controller is beginning to fail and making it look like drive problems.

Solution

tlonsbury

Honorable
Jul 24, 2014

And, I really have a hard time seeing how replacing the PSU could cause that anyhow. Either there is more to the story than we know, whether by unintended omission or not, or something maybe got zapped while disconnecting or reconnecting the power supply.
After messing with the setup I actually got it to boot from the HDD. It boots completely as expected when the HDD is connected. If SSD is also connected it just skips it and boots straight from the HDD even with boot override. Even using the same SATA cable and header as the HDD, the SSD will still not boot.

I created a bootable USB drive to just reinstall windows and I noticed something odd. It wouldn't let me just reinstall Windows to the partition because "it is not of the GPT partition style", and when looking at the drives in BIOS, it shows the USB drive as UEFI and the SSD not as UEFI. I suspect this is the issue more than anything else, but my BIOS doesn't have options For UEFI, secure boot, or CSM. Not sure why.

Also I replaced the PSU because the fan on it never engaged, in addition to the unexpected shutdown issue. It very reliably happened within 30 minutes of playing a certain game. Since replacing the PSU I've been able to run that game for 2 hours, so the issue was definitely PSU. The fact that everything works on my motherboard when connected to the HDD, and that the power issue is resolved, I don't feel confident saying the issue is a fried motherboard.

Okay so lets discard the BIOS config (which btw I didn't read the entire replies, so if you haven't tried clearing the bios settings you should try). Aswering your last question, that happened to me in windows 7 many years ago, realized that because one day I removed the extra drive and caused me that same problem when booting.
I definitely tried restoring back to defaults few times. I tried reinstalling from a bootable USB drive like it sounds like you did, but I get an error that its not in GPT format style, which led me to discover the SSD isn't being launched in UEFI like the USB is.

Can you show screenshot from Disk Management?

It's possible, your SSD is not bootable. This can happen, if you have multiple drives connected during installation of windows.
It was running off the SSD before. Then they replaced the PSU. Now it is not running off the SSD.

If it was just a boot partition issue, that shouldn't have changed. I think there is more to this and I would highly recommend that they FIND the correct settings in the BIOS to enable the UEFI boot, but really it doesn't even matter. It can auto configure that itself.

Disconnect the HDD. Connect the SSD. Go into the BIOS and reset to Optimal default settings. Save settings and exit. Go back into BIOS. Set to boot from flash drive with installation media created on it as outlined at my guide's link and then install as per the guide.

Yep, that's true, it's possible. We've seen this happen over and over and people never realize it until they remove the hard drive and realize the SSD won't boot.

Problem is, this isn't booting from the SSD, which it WAS before, even with the HDD installed, but it DOES boot from the HDD. So, only solution really is clean install of the SSD with the HDD OUT of the system during the installation. Then, completely wipe the HDD by removing ALL the existing partitions on it after confirming the SSD is good, and then use it for backup images or files. At least, that would be my recommendation.