Replacement for nvidia geforce 8500GT for dual monitors

sandi5980

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I have an hp pavillion D4990Y pc that is about 2 years old. It has a 512MB nvidia geforce 8500 GT video card. I would like to replace it with one that supports dual monitors, as I have 2 hp w2207 monitors that I would like to use together for an extended desktop. I am not a gamer, but would like better than average quality at a decent price.What video card would you recommend? It would be nice to have one that would also additionaly support output to a tv, but I don't know if this is doable.

I thought most 8500GT cards were dual output? I mean some were dual DVI and others DVI and VGA. So you are saying your card only has one output on it?

If you are just looking for dual outputs a 9500GT or HD4350 will probably work just fine for you. Just make sure it has the proper outputs for your needs.

As far as a TV, do you mean an LCD tv or standard CRT TV?

sandi5980

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

I think so, I'll open it up when I get home & check again, I think I may have the DVI &VGA one, and initially remember setting up the monitor using the dvi & a usb cable(? for the sound). Do you think I could connect the 2nd monitor through VGA and leave the first on DVI?

I have an extra lcd tv that I believe can act as a monitor or tv, I'll check on it's connections as well (this one is still in the box).

I believe I only have 1 free slot in the pc, that is why I was looking for a replacement card instead of an additional one.
Thanks for all of your help!

sandi5980

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
OK thanks, I guess I'll look for a replacement because image quality is an issue for the digitizing I do.
Thanks -and if Mike Rowe agrees and said so - well that's enough for me.