replacing a hard drive on an asus pc

backdrop001

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2012
Hi guys I have an Asus PC cm6870-us-3ac

anyway I'd like to replace the hard drive with a faster one and maybe use the current one as just storage if I can figure out how lol.

A friend of mine said though on her pc which is a HP won't let you unless you get an image burned on it or something and I wanted to find out if that was true on Asus before I buy it and can't use it.

Solution
Hi

Most modern pc's & laptops from major companies have a hidden partition containing the files need to make a recovery disk set

Which can put the system back to the as delivered state if the hard drive fails

Have you got these recovery disks ?

What is your O S version ?
How big is the hard disk ?

Regards
Mike Barnes
Hi

Most modern pc's & laptops from major companies have a hidden partition containing the files need to make a recovery disk set

Which can put the system back to the as delivered state if the hard drive fails

Have you got these recovery disks ?

What is your O S version ?
How big is the hard disk ?

Regards
Mike Barnes

Solution

popatim

Titan
You should have made your restore cd's usually as part of the initial "turned on for the first time" setup process.
Check you Asus documentation for how to make them.

You should always backup important files. This is especially true before messing with your drives.
You shouldn't have a problem installing a second harddrive. The unit has 4 free sata ports and 1 empty harddrive spot (plus one empty 5.25 bay)
From there you can clone the old drive to the new one and then swap sata data cable location on the motherbd, set the new drive to be the primary boot device in the bios, and away you go.