[SOLVED] Replacing a motherboard with cpu and ram

Charlieh65

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2014
Hello. I am going to buy a new motherboard with an i5-2400 and it will replace my old motherboard with a Phenom 545 cpu.

I have two questions:

1. Will my psu need replacing because of the new cpu uses 15W more power?

2. How would I go with reinstalling the os, cause I don't want to lose any of my data, but I don't have another hd.

Solution
Hello. I am going to buy a new motherboard with an i5-2400 and it will replace my old motherboard with a Phenom 545 cpu.

I have two questions:

2. How would I go with reinstalling the os, cause I don't want to lose any of my data, but I don't have another hd.
(1) Probably not, but what model is your current PSU?
(2) Back your data up to the Cloud then, you should always have a backup as your drive could fail at any time. So, back it up to the Cloud and then do a clean install. And keep backing up on a regular basis.

RealBeast

Titan

I have two questions:

(1) Probably not, but what model is your current PSU?
(2) Back your data up to the Cloud then, you should always have a backup as your drive could fail at any time. So, back it up to the Cloud and then do a clean install. And keep backing up on a regular basis.

Solution

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Funnily enough I've installed a new motherboard sometime ago, something like over 3 years ago, it didn't do anything apart from ask me for activation, since Windows thinks it might be a new PC, I think the limit on new parts is 4 hardware parts, install the new motherboard drivers

It might suffer from a crash or two, but in the meantime, if it start crashing, back up your data, re-install Windows, install drivers of new motherboard