Replacing A8 7600 to FX 8350 for Gaming

crude12

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017
Hi everyone.

I do have a GTX 970 ACX 2.0 GPU.

I am planning to replace my A8 7600 to FX 8350 for gaming. Is it worth doing it ? Does it gonna help in improving FPS in games ? If yes, then how much performance gain will be there.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
1) As said, you'd have to replace CPU, motherboard, reinstall Windows etc. Not a great idea.

2) The FX-8350 isn't that much better than the above APU (CPU part). You can compare FX-4300 to FX-8350 to get a rough idea. Yes, BETTER, but not enough to justify.

3) RYZEN?
I would WAIT another two months at least for motherboard BIOS updates, other software fixes, new CPU's etc. Then get a 4C/8T or 6C/12T Ryzen depending on budget.

Intel is worth considering but I'm waiting for the new CPU pricing, AND to see what Ryzen performance will end up roughly after some of the improvements.

(it's really about the COST savings as Intel is better)

4) Value?
Really hard to determine. Depends a lot on what games you play. Heck, if you get 60FPS on...
1) As said, you'd have to replace CPU, motherboard, reinstall Windows etc. Not a great idea.

2) The FX-8350 isn't that much better than the above APU (CPU part). You can compare FX-4300 to FX-8350 to get a rough idea. Yes, BETTER, but not enough to justify.

3) RYZEN?
I would WAIT another two months at least for motherboard BIOS updates, other software fixes, new CPU's etc. Then get a 4C/8T or 6C/12T Ryzen depending on budget.

Intel is worth considering but I'm waiting for the new CPU pricing, AND to see what Ryzen performance will end up roughly after some of the improvements.

(it's really about the COST savings as Intel is better)

4) Value?
Really hard to determine. Depends a lot on what games you play. Heck, if you get 60FPS on HIGH settings and can jump to 90FPS on HIGH settings by replacing the CPU etc (but not Graphics Card) is that worth it?

It's good to have a solid CPU foundation though. That IMO is at minimum an i5-7500 (4C/4T).

Solution

crude12

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017

Will i7 2600 will be good choice ? i want to play games like Far cry 4 at ultra with min 60FPS. Thanks

i7-2600 is NOT a good choice because you have to buy a new motherboard as well, then reinstall Windows (may need to buy a new copy of Windows as well), all your programs etc.

Why do that for an older CPU? Sure you might find one USED and if it was ONLY the CPU I'd strongly consider it.

I would consider saving up for a RYZEN system in several months. Perhaps a 4C/8T CPU as it may be more than $100 cheaper than the i7-7700K though not quite as fast (though better than the i7-2600).

For example:

Ryzen R5-1500X (4C/8T),
X370 motherboard (I think that's right to overclock)
2x8GB (16GB) 2666MHz DDR4

Again, there are memory issues and other software things to sort out but this is a much better choice IMO than building around a much older motherboard.

*Need to wait and reevaluate Ryzen after some of the issues are addressed. Maybe July 2017 or so would be a suitable time to invest. (Intel of course should be considered too depending on the performance, budget etc)

http://www.techspot.com/review/917-far-cry-4-benchmarks/page5.html

Your CPU (in the APU) should sit just above the FX-4100. If you tweak the game settings the system you have now can probably hit 60FPS at HIGH settings (not completely maxed out).

I don't think spending a lot of money to go from HIGH to ULTRA would be worth it for this game.

*In FC3 I got a lot of stuttering, then it would be smooth. Some of that was fixed by adjusting the settings (GPU and VSYNC buffers). I only had a GTX680 2GB and I know the GTX970 would fix that.

**Go back to the FC4 benchmark link above and you can see that ULTRA on a GTX970 was averaging 72FPS. That means even if the CPU was the best one it would still drop below 60FPS at times.

The game probably got a few patches to improve performance slightly as well since then, so again I think High/Ultra settings can likely hit an almost solid 60FPS (depending mostly on the CPU... a light overclock if possible would help too if not done).

Other:
Try forcing "Adaptive VSYNC" for the game as well if you have a 60Hz monitor.
NCP-> manage 3d settings-> add game->... adaptive vsync-> save

The game should lock to 60FPS VSYNC ON if the GPU can output 60FPS, but if not it auto turns VSYNC OFF to avoid added STUTTERING (due to the synch mismatch). It's usually better to have some SCREEN TEARING than to have VSYNC stutter.