Question Replacing dead DVD drive with Hard Disk instead (using HDD caddy)

Aug 4, 2019
Hi,
I'm using an HP 2000 2120 laptop, purchased in 2012. Recently my dvd drive died while it was being used (suddenly started making some weird noises, and then it died. After that, no LEDs, nothing. It's still displayed inside Explorer, but if try to do anything -like to eject it from inside windows, the system just freezes and after some time, a message pops up saying failed to eject.)

As I was already planning to buy an SSD, I felt like it's the right time to do so. My plan is to put the SSD inside the laptop where the HDD currently is, and move the HDD to the space where DVD drive was, using a HDD caddy. But soon after the DVD drive failed, one of my laptop's speakers also failed.
This made me think if there's any connection between both the incidents. So my doubt is whether these are signs of any other issues with my laptop ? Like a failing motherboard that's damaging other components ?
And if so, as I'm planning to move the HDD to the same SATA port where the DVD drive was located, is there any chance that my Hard disk will also get damaged similarly ?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Not that I have anything against trying to wring every ounce of life out of a machine, as I do so myself, but just from what you've described and given the age of the machine you would most likely be better off to look at getting a new one.

Seven years is a long life for a laptop, and while a DVD failing is not at all unusual (and easy to replace, should one so choose), you appear to be at the onset of slow to rapid (who knows) component failure.

There are those times when letting go makes the most sense and in my opinion this is one of them.

Reactions: Joe Ash
Aug 4, 2019
Not that I have anything against trying to wring every ounce of life out of a machine, as I do so myself, but just from what you've described and given the age of the machine you would most likely be better off to look at getting a new one.

Seven years is a long life for a laptop, and while a DVD failing is not at all unusual (and easy to replace, should one so choose), you appear to be at the onset of slow to rapid (who knows) component failure.

There are those times when letting go makes the most sense and in my opinion this is one of them.
Thanks a lot for the quick reply..
Also what about investing in an SSD ? as they can be used in the future also . My doubt is whether there is any chance that maybe the motherboard or any other components that are failing have any role in the failure of the dvd drive.? Because if so, could that create such a damage to the Hard disk also if it is moved to where the DVD drive was..?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
The probability of mobo failure (period) is relatively low, and the probability of it "zapping" other components even lower.

It all comes back to whether it's better to spend money piecemeal trying to extend the life of a machine at logical end of life or use that money toward new equipment.

Newer laptops, sadly, are also not designed with maintenance in mind in any way. It's all about ease and speed of assembly at the factory. So if you're used to something with a bay door for the HDD, another for memory, and even (on some, but not most) an easily removable battery pack you'll find those don't exist anymore except among a very limited number of mostly business class machines. This makes the transplantation of component parts like an SSD that you already own much more difficult, since you have to tear the machine down to get to where the drive is installed to begin with.

Only you can decide what you ultimately want to do. There is no absolute right or wrong answer here. It's all about probabilities and how much work you'd be willing to do, if any, to make an attempt to move component parts.

I hate tearing down laptops, period, though I can do it so my decision is directly colored by that. Not to mention you'd likely void a warranty were you to try to do something like install an SSD in a machine you just bought that didn't come with one (and those are getting to be fewer and farther between these days except at the low end).

Reactions: Joe Ash
Aug 4, 2019
The probability of mobo failure (period) is relatively low, and the probability of it "zapping" other components even lower.

It all comes back to whether it's better to spend money piecemeal trying to extend the life of a machine at logical end of life or use that money toward new equipment.

Newer laptops, sadly, are also not designed with maintenance in mind in any way. It's all about ease and speed of assembly at the factory. So if you're used to something with a bay door for the HDD, another for memory, and even (on some, but not most) an easily removable battery pack you'll find those don't exist anymore except among a very limited number of mostly business class machines. This makes the transplantation of component parts like an SSD that you already own much more difficult, since you have to tear the machine down to get to where the drive is installed to begin with.

Only you can decide what you ultimately want to do. There is no absolute right or wrong answer here. It's all about probabilities and how much work you'd be willing to do, if any, to make an attempt to move component parts.

I hate tearing down laptops, period, though I can do it so my decision is directly colored by that. Not to mention you'd likely void a warranty were you to try to do something like install an SSD in a machine you just bought that didn't come with one (and those are getting to be fewer and farther between these days except at the low end).

I'll keep that in mind 👍 and again, thank you very much..👍