[SOLVED] Replacing Gaming PC with laptop

droidling

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
I am traveling a lot more for work lately, so I would like to get a better laptop for gamming while I am on the road. I was wondering if I could also use it to replace my gaming desktop. Is it possible to connect all my devices to the limited ports on a laptop. I am currently run 3 x 2K monitors off a GTX1070 card. I also have an older Oculus Rift that I would like to be able to use occasionally. On the USB bus I have a keyboard, a Logitech and a Razor mouse, wireless headphones, webcam, microphone, label printer, racing wheel, HOTAS, and a few other devices that get plugged in occasionally. I was looking at the Gigabyte AERO 15 (AERO 15 OLED YD-73US624SP), with an RTX3080. It has a Mini DP, Thunderbolt 4, and 3 x USB 3.2 type A ports. The Dell I have for work has a docking station that plugs into 2 USB type c ports and runs three monitors. I have never counted the number of USB ports on it. Can I get something similar for a gaming laptop? Would the performance be reasonable?

Solution
I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
The coolers are also relatively underpowered.

If you need portability, then buy a laptop.
Otherwise a desktop can be better for gaming.
The rule of thumb is to lower your expectations if gaming on a laptop rather than a desktop. Hard to say what your expectations are.

A lot would depend on what games at what settings, your budget, and your tolerance for disappointment compared to your current desktop.

droidling

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
Both my current Laptop and Gamming Desktop are 6 -8 years old. I would be upgrading from a i7-6700HQ, GTX1060 and 16GB ram on the laptop and an i7-5820k, GTX 1070 with 64GB RAM . I was hoping to get a laptop that would run Ark2 on the highest settings, Elite Dangerous in VR without a lot of lag, and Euro/American Truck Simulator with 3 monitors in 2k and high quality but not extreme graphics. I was assuming $2k-$3K.

I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
The coolers are also relatively underpowered.

If you need portability, then buy a laptop.
Otherwise a desktop can be better for gaming.

Reactions: Why_Me
Solution