replacing graphic card in a Lenovo e540 after purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

topitzik

Reputable
Sep 14, 2014
hi,

i have the lenovo e540 with the Nvidia GeForce GT 710M, but it isn't best for games...
this model can now be bought with the 740M, so i was wondering if i could replace the card to the more "powerful" one.
is it possible to replace the card? maybe to another card(not 740M)?
is this even a good idea?

Solution
This model doesn't appear to be upgrade ready in terms of graphics chip, as it's soldered to the motherboard. So unless you know someone that's really proficient in laptop repair, and are ready to spend quite a lot. The performance increase would be there, but it wouldn't be anything that warrants the effort/money

sammy sung

Distinguished
This model doesn't appear to be upgrade ready in terms of graphics chip, as it's soldered to the motherboard. So unless you know someone that's really proficient in laptop repair, and are ready to spend quite a lot. The performance increase would be there, but it wouldn't be anything that warrants the effort/money

Solution
Nov 19, 2020
Hi,

I have the Lenovo Thinkpad E540, and was looking to upgrade the GPU so that I can edit 4k video.

Since this thread is quite old, I'm assuming there have been significant advancements over the last few years.

What GPU would you recommend, given that the laptop would need to be disassembled to install it.

..And would it be worth it? So far, the best option I could find is the NVidia 940MX, but I'm not sure if that's compatible and if there's a better option availble.

Looking forward to response!

Thanks,
Viren K.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
GPUs are no more upgradeable than they were in 2014. Laptops that have MXM GPUs are still few and far between and I don't think any of the Thinkpads use them. If anything, the situation has gotten worse in the last six years.

In any case, please do not necro six-year-old threads. If you need more information, start a new one and be specific about your exact configuration/model of E540.

Status
Not open for further replies.