Replacing Motherboard + CPU

raymondang15

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
I'm about to replace(upgrade) my motherboard and CPU with a new one.. Would I have to install a new OS? If so, how do I do it? Will it be able to boot with the new CPU + motherboard? If it doesn't how am I suppose to get a OS? I don't get it.. I just bought an i7 3770k + MSI Z77A-GD65.

If you have Skype, feel free to add me! asdfghjklgs

Once you install the Motherboard and CPU, you will have to install a new OS if the one in there is OEM. You can go to Microsoft's Site and purchase a new license. If you have a retaile copy in there, you should be good to go.

raymondang15

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013

What do you mean if the one in there is OEM. And how would I install a new one?

raymondang15

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013

It's an iBUYPOWER.

So, I can just go into my BIOS and select the detect new hardware option instead of installing a whole new OS?

Jaxem

Honorable
There's no option per se for just using the install you have, it either will boot or it won't. Bad news is that there's a good chance you're running an OEM copy of Windows that is permanently tied to your motherboard, you won't be able to use the same license key with your new one :( if you can get it to boot with the current install, you can just plug in a new license key when you get it without re-installing.

With OEM, it is licensed for that machine and that machine only. When it is installed it takes a snapshoot of sorts of the hardware. Most things can be upgraded, but once you change out the Motherboard, that changes the whole thing and it thinks you are installing it in a different machine that it is not licensed for. You can get a new License from Microsoft. Withe Retail copy, you can move it from machine to machine, BUT, it can only be installed in one machine at a time. The OS I am using is Retail. I had it on a Different Hdd in the Hot swap bay in my Gateway. The Hdd that came in the machine has Vista on it ( I was dual booting ). When I built this thing in the fall of '11, I just pulled the Hdd with Windows 7 and installed it in here. No problem. I just Upgrade the Motherboard and Processor and still no problem. I was asked how many machines it was installed in and i said just this one, which is true. Again, no problem. You can detect the new hardware in the BiOS, but you still have the signature from the original build which that has nothing to do with.

Yeah, That is what I was trying to tell him in my post up above. Probably should have said "or go to Microsoft and get a new license. .

raymondang15

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013

Okay. If it's OEM, will it still be able to boot up where I will be able to purchase a new license?
And what happens if it doesn't boot up at all? What do I do?

Jaxem

Honorable
It will boot the same if its OEM, you can buy a key from Microsoft's site, or just buying new install media online. If it doesn't boot, you'll have to do a fresh install

raymondang15

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013

How would I do the fresh install if I don't have my computer to use?

Jaxem

Honorable
You have to have some kind of bootable media (windows DVD or flash drive). Put it in, restart, and unless your boot priorities need changing, you'll get a "press any key to boot from CD", you press and it install will start.

raymondang15

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013

Ohhh that press any key to boot from CD.

So I extract everything from the window installation CD to my flash drive and that'll work?

Jaxem

Honorable
No, you have to use a utility to make bootableflash drive, Microsoft has one or there's win2flash which I use. Then you'll need a windows image of some kind to load with the utility.

raymondang15

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013

Okay that just threw me off

Jaxem

Honorable
some people prefer making a flash drive for install because it's faster during the install and can be customized...there's no real reason besides that unless you don't have an optical drive on the machine to be installed on.

Yeah, I suppose so. If you don't have an Optical Drive then you certainly need something.

raymondang15

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
"Once you've made the switch and the hardware is hooked up right, it should go through POST then start loading the OS. Once the OS is loaded then you should get to your desktop. After that, at some point tou may get a pop up saying something about the Authenticity of the Windows installation. Should that happen, it would just be a matter of going to Microsoft and purchasing a new license."

Is that true?

Jaxem

Honorable
Yes, windows checks every so often with an authentication server, and when it does it will notice you're not using the same machine, then you'll get a prompt to enter a new key. If you don't windows will shut off things like updating and some other features until you enter a key.

raymondang15

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013

Sweet! I guess it'll be an easy installation.
What are some things that I've done to where the computer won't even POST?
AND does a ATX form factor fit into a mid tower case?

ATX does fit into a Mid tower. 7.5 ' across the front, translates to 7.5" deep when the case is on it's side with the cover off. That is pretty shallow. As for the OS thing, it usually ios only a matter of getting a new key. No installation required, just enter in the new numbers ( you will probably be given instructions on that or it may be done from their site).