Replacing my laptop hard drive with a ssd

bish82

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Hi,
i'm planning to replace the hardrive on my laptop with a 128gb ssd. I have a bunch of stuff on the hard drive and i dont it will fit into the 128gb ssd. So basically i want to keep using my hard drive as an external solution and just want transfer windows on to the ssd. Is there a way of transferring the windows without really transferring anything else on to the ssd?

Solution
No, you download the image, burn it to a DVD, install it as usual with bios mode set to AHCI and then enter your serial and activate it after everything seems to be working properly. But it must be the same version as what your activation key is for.

RealBeast

Titan
You can clone Windows 7 to the SSD, but it is greatly preferable to do a clean install the first time to the SSD, with your bios set to AHCI sata mode. If you don't use your optical drive much, there are converters that allow you to use your optical bay for a secondary HDD for storage.

bish82

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

yeah y'know how it is these days. they dont really give you the windows dvd in the first place and the factory widows that comes with the laptop is all cluttered. Well i guess i can create a windows recovery disk. The only thing that i'm kinda not sure about is that, when i make a recovery disk at this point , will it just have windows on it or will it end up trying to create an image of my whole hard drive.

If you can borrow a windows dvd, you can use that to do a clean install on the ssd. Make certain that the sata mode is ahci so you can enable trim. You can reactivate using the activation code from the sticker on the laptop. If you want to preserve the settings or other files, export them first using windows easy transfer.
After install, you can import some or all of your files. Apps must be reinstalled.

bish82

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

so i just download the windows on to the ssd and then just swap out the old hard drive a with a new ssd? that just sounds too good to be true. So whats the catch?

RealBeast

Titan
No, you download the image, burn it to a DVD, install it as usual with bios mode set to AHCI and then enter your serial and activate it after everything seems to be working properly. But it must be the same version as what your activation key is for.

Solution

bish82

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

hey thanks real beast! really appreciate it.

TRENDING THREADS