Replacing my motherboard for first time ( got questions )

Status
Not open for further replies.

tplay2003

Prominent
Dec 29, 2018
Hello guys im new here but someone told me that this is the perfect place for my questions on hardware. So a few days ago i ordered a new video card for my PC configuration which is with the following specifications:

Motherboard: TURBO-X H61-M HDMI
PSU: 500W Multirama Model: LPG 9-43 ( i know its old )
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3,40Ghz
RAM: 8GB ( 2x4 ) DDR3
( OLD ) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 2GB

I ordered GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G because i saw it was compatible with my motherboard but when it arrive i removed the old card and installed the new one everything was fine when i boot the PC it was visible that the GPU was working fine but then the Motherboard logo froze on boot and i knew that i need to update the BIOS verssion in order to get my GPU recognized by this motherboard. And here is the problem i found that TURBO-X are small greek company which doesnt relese any BIOS updates so...i had to order a new motherboard with popular brand. I didn't have lot of choices because motherboards with my socket are alredy outdated ( i need 1155 socket ).

Finally i found a motherboard that will support all of my components and i buy it with the latest BIOS verssion. The new motherboard i buyed is ASUS P8H61-MX USB3 its almost copy of my current motherboard but this time it is with cool brand which makes the BIOS update process more easy if its needed. The only thing is that this motherboard is smaller than my current but that should be fine

So this is going to be my first motherboard replacement can you give me any tips on how to do it without burning the whole PC. Thanks in advance and sorry for english mistakes its not my language.

This is an older video, and there are LOTS of other tutorials on installing a motherboard out there, but it should be pretty relevant to your motherboard given the age of your chipet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1X2Wpwl4dg

If in doubt about anything, refer to THIS thread, which covers pretty much everything you need to remember to do when installing a new motherboard or trying to figure out what is wrong if it doesn't POST after installation.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

tplay2003

Prominent
Dec 29, 2018

It will be a little bit hard for me because i didnt install my current motherboard it was a friend of mine who isn't here anymore. So i got to do it myself this time.

on all three boards i changed out in the past two months, i followed those instructions to the T, and each time i still spent approx 1 - 1.5 hours either in chat support with microsoft or on the phone. I suspect they do it on purpose to frustrate customers who give up and buy another copy - btw, my win 10 PRO is a retail copy

USAFRet

Titan

On my wife's system, it worked.
Took a couple of days for it to catch up, but 100% activated, with no talking to MS.

maybe that's what i did wrong, not waiting - but on at least one of the board swaps it came back with an error msg, that i ended up in phone conv with support and after the CSR messed with it for 20-30 minutes at her end, she ended up giving me a new activation number - a huge group of maybe 9 or 10 groups of 6 digits each

coulld not understand why it had to be this giant key

USAFRet

Titan

Which original key? The actual Windows license key?

If you call MS and talk through the process (either human or robot), there is a whole different character string involved.

tplay2003

Prominent
Dec 29, 2018
I don't mind installing new fresh windows 10 pro i have it on my usb drive its pirated verssion so i will activate it don't worry. Im also not sure if that PSU will make it with the new GPU and MOTHERBOARD if you can tell me is it fine cuz i dont have money to change it right now.

USAFRet

Titan

And we're done here.

Change whatever you like.
Reinstall if necessary.
Good luck with that pirated OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.