Question Replacing my old monitor - help new sort through all that is out there for a clear, sharp image

jptrot

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
Time to replace my old 2014 Asus PB258Q and I could really use some help in searching for a monitor. I loved the look given by the PB258Q, it had more of a gloss than matte feel that i see in some of the new gaming monitors, but it finally bit the dust.

Between good color and gaming ability I probably fall much more into the color than gaming category. I do a lot of photoshop work and movie watching, but I also occasionally use SecondLife and War Thunder. (I doubt either of those fall into the category of fast motion games?)

I know I want QHD 2560X1440 in a 27" monitor, but after that I get lost. I know there are not many "gloss" monitors are anymore, but I think it is the pix per inch or a contrast of 100000000:1 that I am referring too.

I looked at the Koorui 27N4Q and was very disappointed. I have looked at the both the ASUS ProArt Display PA278QV, the ASUS VG27AQ (I like Asus) and the BenQ PD2700Q. Several of the reviews on those said "not for gaming" so it threw me off but I simply am not sure what i do is even considered "gaming".
I am using a AMD 5 5000X and Nvidia 1660 Super.

All advice apreciated

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's 4 kinds of panels and they are different. TN panels are the fastest, so 1ms gray to gray is common, but at the cost of color saturation and viewing angle. The opposite is IPS, which has a wide viewing angle, the best color saturation but is generally slower on the gray-gray scale usually 5ms. In the middle is VA panels, wide viewing, good color, the best deep blacks, but are also generally 5ms.

The 4th is the oddball, OLED. Has the best of everything, fast, color, blacks, but has 1 drawback. It's a cousin of CRTs in affects, suffers from 'burn in' if you leave static pixels saturated, so really not good for screens with the 'ticker tape' solid color bars for hours on end.

Out of those, you definitely get what you pay for. Quality costs, but is worth it. The budget monitors have issues with back lighting, bleed, cheap construction, lousy contrast etc. The more expensive OLEDs have pixel refresher to try and prevent the burn. I'd suggest you check out Hardware Unboxed, they do a Lot of very in-depth reviews on monitors and have really good explanations as to what things mean, what's a gimmick, what's worth the price etc.