[SOLVED] Replacing my X570 motherboard, any recommendations?

BrandonFitzpatricc

Commendable
Jun 23, 2019
I've had an MSI X570 Gaming Pro Carbon for a bit over 2 years now. The USB ports on the board have stopped working properly (they cause voltage issues which freeze my PC and force it to shut down), so I'm planning to replace it. I have a Ryzen 3700x, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM, an RTX 3070, and a 1 TB m.2 SSD. Unless something breaks, I'm not planning to upgrade any of these parts for many years. I want a motherboard that will last me, and I think I want to stay away from MSI this time around. I've heard that Gigabyte is the way to go for X570 boards, but I just want to confirm, and get specific model recommendations. My budget is around $200-$300, but I'd be willing to go a bit over that if it would be worthwhile.

While I'm at it, I want to upgrade my liquid cooler since it was relatively cheap and I bought it around the same time as my motherboard. My case can fit a 240mm radiator, and I don't really have a budget (so long as it isn't anything ridiculous like $200+). I just want something that will last me a long time.

Solution
I'd recommend the Asus ROG Crosshair Dark Hero VIII X570 motherboard if you got the money for it (~$400). On a lower budget, the Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming mobo is very good as well, selling around $200. These boards have the excellent power supply designs that keep your VRMs cool.

I initially had the MSI X570 Gaming Pro Carbon with an AMD 3900X and that board kept on thermal throttling. It had a terrible power supply problem which could not supply the current to the CPU. Hardware Unboxed said it was one of the worse AM4 boards out there. I got rid of it and bought the Crosshair and been enjoying it for years.

Lutfij

Titan
Just for the sake of relevance, can you parse the specs to your current rig like so:
CPU+CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

I'd be inclined to look into the PSU and the fuses/power delivery area of said USB ports to see if perhaps they are what fizzled out. Is the system used primarily for gaming or for content creation or everything between them?

Include your location and your preferred site(s) for purchase since you've already established budgets.

BrandonFitzpatricc

Commendable
Jun 23, 2019
Just for the sake of relevance, can you parse the specs to your current rig like so:
CPU+CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

I'd be inclined to look into the PSU and the fuses/power delivery area of said USB ports to see if perhaps they are what fizzled out. Is the system used primarily for gaming or for content creation or everything between them?

Include your location and your preferred site(s) for purchase since you've already established budgets.
Here's the full part list, I'm currently running Windows 10
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/BrandonFitzpatricc/saved/JvJwcf

I don't believe it's a PSU issue. The front panel USB ports work without any issue, and I've tried just about everything to fix this. I'm almost certain that it's an issue with the hardware. I primarily use this PC for gaming, which is usually when the voltage issues will trigger.

I live in the US, and my two preferred sites are Amazon and Newegg

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I'd recommend the Asus ROG Crosshair Dark Hero VIII X570 motherboard if you got the money for it (~$400). On a lower budget, the Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming mobo is very good as well, selling around $200. These boards have the excellent power supply designs that keep your VRMs cool.

I initially had the MSI X570 Gaming Pro Carbon with an AMD 3900X and that board kept on thermal throttling. It had a terrible power supply problem which could not supply the current to the CPU. Hardware Unboxed said it was one of the worse AM4 boards out there. I got rid of it and bought the Crosshair and been enjoying it for years.

Solution