[SOLVED] Replacing pentium g3240 with i5 4590 worth it??

Mar 18, 2020
I was using a pentium g3240 and I recently bought a rx460 4gb GPU and I wasn't getting the expected performance so I decided to go for a 4th Gen i5 4590 so that I won't have to replace the motherboard can I expect decent performance without any bottleneck from my new processor???

Solution
Any chance of bottle neck with rx460???
Also I might consider upgrading my GPU to 1060 or something will that cause any issue regarding performance or bottleneck.???
Dont worry about bottlenecks.
They are not a problem.
Plus the 'bottleneck' between your i5 and RX 460 4GB is small, you have nothing to worry about.
Dont upgrade your GPU until you can get something with gtx 1070 and above level of performance.
Not worth the money to buy anything that performs less than a 1070 nowadays and for the future.
Mar 18, 2020
Also I might consider upgrading my GPU to 1060 or something will that cause any issue regarding performance or bottleneck.???

They are not a problem.
Plus the 'bottleneck' between your i5 and RX 460 4GB is small, you have nothing to worry about.
Dont upgrade your GPU until you can get something with gtx 1070 and above level of performance.
Not worth the money to buy anything that performs less than a 1070 nowadays and for the future.

Solution
Mar 18, 2020
They are not a problem.

Yeah I am just looking for a 1080p very low budget pc
and right now I am not thinking on futureproofing since I will be going away from home for studies so in my case 1060 might come in handy and they are cheap as hell in the used market near my area

robertbhart

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2012
You didn't say what you were using your PC for or what the issue was in terms of how the current CPU didn't meet expectations.

Without that info nobody can give you a useful answer to the question "is it worth it?".

Depending on the software being used, the resolution being output and the tasks performed it could be that you'd need a far bigger upgrade to achieve the desired performance. Or it could be the case that the software in question can't make use of the extra processing power.

Reactions: Dj0gany

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
Since those are running around 50 dollars on the bay I would expect that should be a decent boost with two more cores/threads at a considerable increase in speed.
I am a fan of maxing out old hardware if it can still do what I want to do. (I am poor, so I don't generally have the big money options. haha)

Mar 18, 2020
You didn't say what you were using your PC for or what the issue was in terms of how the current CPU didn't meet expectations.

Without that info nobody can give you a useful answer to the question "is it worth it?".

Depending on the software being used, the resolution being output and the tasks performed it could be that you'd need a far bigger upgrade to achieve the desired performance. Or it could be the case that the software in question can't make use of the extra processing power.

Just some casual gaming and my pentium cpu couldn't cope with my graphics card and Cpu usage in almost every game hits 100 and never got the fps which the card can deliver

Mar 18, 2020
Since those are running around 50 dollars on the bay I would expect that should be a decent boost with two more cores/threads at a considerable increase in speed.
I am a fan of maxing out old hardware if it can still do what I want to do. (I am poor, so I don't generally have the big money options. haha)

Thank you and I guess it will be enough for me 🙂🙂

robertbhart

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2012
Just some casual gaming and my pentium cpu couldn't cope with my graphics card and Cpu usage in almost every game hits 100 and never got the fps which the card can deliver

"casual gaming" has no meaning in this context. It ain't like others are wearing a dinner suit to play...

Something like "I'm trying to play the latest triple A games at 60fps+ at 1080p " would be the kind of info you'd need for someone to answer you.

A retro gamer looking to get the best from Mame would get a different answer. As would someone struggling with a PS3 emulator.

With upgrades, you ideally want to know it will be enough to achieve what you want rather than just being better than what you have now (but still not enough).

If the new CPU and / or your current gpu is still insufficient for the intended purpose then the upgrade would be a waste of money. I am personally guilty of wasting a whole lot of cash while trying to save myself money by cheaping out....