Replacing stock fan with Cooler Master 212

parisasks

Prominent
Aug 13, 2018
I am looking to replace the stock fan of my 2-year old with a Cooler Master 212. I understand that I will have to remove the motherboard to install it. My question is, do I need to also remove the GPU, rams etc as well? Or can I just unscrew the whole motherboard together with its components and then install the new heatsink?

Appreciate all help :)

Solution
You don't necessarily have to remove the motherboard if your case has a cutout that you can access the bracket holes through. I would remove the GPU though just because it's super easy and you don't want any possiblity of something happening to it. Don't worry about the RAM and be at least somewhat careful with the thermal paste, getting it in the socket isn't good (not the end of the world with non-metallic based paste but).
You don't necessarily have to remove the motherboard if your case has a cutout that you can access the bracket holes through. I would remove the GPU though just because it's super easy and you don't want any possiblity of something happening to it. Don't worry about the RAM and be at least somewhat careful with the thermal paste, getting it in the socket isn't good (not the end of the world with non-metallic based paste but).

Solution

Lutfij

Titan
It's best if you removed anything around the CPU socket in order to install the fans without being impeded. Most of the times, where people don't want to go through any hassle, end up going through it after taking a merry-go-round ride. Which is why I simply state to get your prep work done at the onset of the procedure.

Since you need to remove the board from the case, you will eventually need to remove the GPU and the connections to the board. You can leave the rams alone, if the clips/fans don't interfere with the sticks of ram.