Replacing VGA with DVI-D port in monitor

Kimisha

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
Hello,
I'm planning to build new computer with GTX 1060 gpu which has DVI-D, HDMI and display port. However, i have LG Flatron W2243S monitor with only VGA input. I know that LCD displays work in digital mode, so there must be analog(from VGA input) to digital conversion in monitor itself. Is there any way to bypass that conversion, like manually removing VGA connector and converter, and inserting DVI-D so the monitor gets digital signal directly from GPU's DVI-D output without any conversion? Asking that because active DVI to VGA converters are around 150$ and I could buy new monitor for that money.

pepslight

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014

This HDMI to VGA adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-Gold-Plated-Converter-Adapter-Desktop/dp/B016HL4CAY/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1485375147&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=vga+to+hdmi&psc=1

And than a basic VGA Cable from the HDMI adapter to your Monitor

unfortunately then you will have to get a new monitor if you don't want to try the adapters. there is no way to retrofit old monitors with ports they were never designed for. plus you risk getting yourself electrocuted if you try to open up a monitor

Kimisha

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017

I study electrical engineering, electrocuting is not a problem. :)
I remember professor once mentioned that kind of replacing ports and that it's possible, but I can't get in touch with him right now. I won't do anything on my own risking breaking something of course, if there is no solution I will consider buying new one or at least trying some adapters

pepslight

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014

I started last year with Electronics. The problem if Im not wrong is that you trying to transfer data from your VGA video analogue to your HDMI Digital and that doesn´t work like that. Even if you would open the Screen I know you would need to re design the internal controller board which is ridicoulouslly complex giving the whole Monitor never was designed to do that.

Maybe with the board plans and a top notch lab you can reprogramm the controller, but giving its Analogue to digital its not the same components.