Report: 20nm Nvidia Maxwell Possibly Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
TSMC has been the reason behind a lot of delays.... It seems if manufactures want stuff to get done more on time they should stop outsourcing such a critical component of the process and do it in house.

pills161

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
If true then I'm glad I went for the 670>780 upgrade now instead of waiting for Maxwell thinking it would be out in the next couple months.

Yes as they are the FAB that both go through. With how large the GPUs are becoming these days as well, the yields are probably lower than expected, as normally is with new process technology.

You do realize that it is a ton cheaper to go through a third party than to do it themselves, right? Look at 14nm. Intel built a new FAB and it cost $5 billion just to build it. Add in the costs for R&D and what TSMC charges is probably a fraction of that.

As well, who is to say that AMD or NVidia would do any better? They would run into yield issues as well since even Intel runs into it and they are considered the best in the business.

Very disapointing. I am saving my pennies for a nice fat GTX870 to upgrade my GTX570. Truth be told the processing power of my current card is fine, but the lack of ram is killing me on a few games at high settings (or mods). The hope was to upgrade the GPU this year, and get a higher resolution monitor next year... gotta space purchases out in order to appease the holder of the purse strings you know :DAt any rate, maybe AMD's GPU prices will come down and they will release the rumored GDDR6 products this year. I have been a long standing nVidia fan, but if they have the right product at the right time then I would give them a spin for a generation.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Been saying this since the beginning of the year in response to people who've claimed that 20nm Maxwell is right around the corner, but as long as by "right around the corner" you guys mean 9-12 months, that's fine. Because that's what all the rumors and leaks I've seen have suggested, likely Q4 at the earliest. That's not what I would call right around the corner even taking into consideration lengthening GPU generations, but okay. Unfortunately I don't think that's what a lot of people meant. I think a lot of people literally thought 20nm Maxwell would be right around the corner, as in the next couple months, even though there's really no evidence to support this and plenty of evidence to the contrary.

unfortunately:(I was really hoping to use "Step Up" to grab 20nm 880's...
Wow, 90 days? And I'm assuming you didn't just make the purchase, so... I'm just honestly curious about where people are getting this from?

D3ck3rCain

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
I might as well buy my two gtx 780ti's now. I'm not willing to wait until next gen if it will be the beginning of next year.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
I was hoping this was an april fools joke. The only source is Sweclockers.com
The only time I'd trust SemiAccurate is if they too were reporting such nonsense at the same time with World Prank Day so close. The rule of thumb is to take every bit of news with a grain of salt between March 31st to April 2nd until everyone eventually corrects their stories.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Hasn't TSMC been the reason AMD and nVidia have taken so long to move to 20nm?
Yes. If you look back, the transition to newer technology nodes has always been the reason for those products' delays. TSMC.

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

Agreed! But it should be noted that NVidia could never afford to fab. They are a small company (by Wall Street standards). In a good year they may profit half a billion dollars, give or take a couple hundred million. TSCM is fairly big, but it takes contracts from Nvidia, AMD(profitable again), Apple, ect... only combined can they afford 20nm.

senshu

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
This seemed obvious by the release of the 28nm Maxwell cards with not even a rumor of the next round on the horizon. I hope they don't hold off releasing a few more Maxwells in 28nm, as the 750Ti is fairly impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.