Report: Acer Launching Chrome OS Netbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Cushgod[/nom]Movin on up!!! Movin on up!! move out of the way microsoft move out da way!![/citation]
Have you even read what Chrome OS is? I don't want to get into a debate about whether or not the completley internet focused OS is a good path, but even Google will admit that Chrome OS is not meant to compete with Microsoft Windows. This OS is geared towards a niche market which wouldn't threaten Windows at all.

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Put a snapdragon or tegra arm processor in it and I'm sold. If you want to sell me an unfamiliar os with a underpowered cpu, at least make it one that uses less power.

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
[citation][nom]idoln95[/nom]Come on Google ! Make a proper OS! We don't want this bu****it network based OS!we want a proper one![/citation]
Woosh.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I don't get a lot of this anti-Chrome sentiment. It's a Netbook. You aren't going to run 3D games on it. You aren't going to type out massive reams of document on it (not unless you want writer's cramp). You are mainly going to surf on the move.
Low overhead OS, on a low power CPU, at a very low price (i.e. free).
Netbooks and Chrome are a match made in heaven.

deathblooms2k1

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]mman74[/nom]I don't get a lot of this anti-Chrome sentiment. It's a Netbook. You aren't going to run 3D games on it. You aren't going to type out massive reams of document on it (not unless you want writer's cramp). You are mainly going to surf on the move.Low overhead OS, on a low power CPU, at a very low price (i.e. free).Netbooks and Chrome are a match made in heaven.[/citation]

If the only purpose of the netbook is to surf on the move, then you might as well buy a decent smart phone, as they are even smaller. I think netbooks are meant to be the in between of the smart phone and a regular laptop, if they are not providing any more functionality than a smart phone, then what's the point? This is why I feel like netbooks long term success is futile, smartphones are getting exceedingly more powerful and powerful laptops are getting exceedingly more cheap and energy efficient.

nawat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
[citation][nom]deathblooms2k1[/nom]I think netbooks are meant to be the in between of the smart phone and a regular laptop, if they are not providing any more functionality than a smart phone, then what's the point?[/citation]
I've never seen a phone that could provide the same internet experience as a web browser on a full-blown OS could (Except phones that put XP on them of course). Smartphones are limited to relatively simple websites. I'm using WM6 and Opera is the best I could get. It doesn't even completely support facebook's home page, forget Flash-based websites and games. It's also proxy-based. Moreover as far as I know, Adobe just said that it won't support Flash on the iPhone.

Therefore, until we have a decent browser on smartphones, I believe there is still a lot of room for netbooks. There're tons of advantages of netbooks over smartphones.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I am with nawat on this one. Web experience on Smartphones (Yes, I have WM6 with Opera and an iPhone) is completely underwhelming, and that's putting it politely. Flash? Anything other than Youtube is a big no-no. Secure logins e.g bank account checking? - fail big time. Active X plugins - you wish! Online applications - if only ... You get see where I am going with this?
So if you are content with viewing static HTML pages on a 3" screen then by all means get a Smartphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.