Report: Amazon Kindle Fire Could Drop as Low as $169

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I respect the Kindle Fire for what it's trying to achieve, but even after using it hands-on after my gf got it, contrasted with a "full" Android device, it's frustratingly-limited. But if you just want a cheap portable media player and don't insist on being able to carry your entire video library around with you, this little thing is fun (though it's unfortunate to lack physical volume buttons).

To be honest, this small reduction in price isn't all that impressive, but is probably announced just to get a few more people buying the OG Fire and get rid of the inventory before the next gen devices come out.

G

What if we have a walkie talkie which has all the functionalities in phones and tablets?
It is a good walkie talkie.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I love my kindle fire. I have had it for only a couple of months now but it has seen alot more use and abuse than alot of my other portable devices like my iPad for example, which only collects dust now >_> Actually, I take that back, my iPad sees some use from my little kids because they don't know any better ^.^

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
Not interested in the original Fire. I want to see how the new one stacks up to Google's offering. Though I'll probably still end up with an iPad also because of a work project.

G

It should be $49. It's a dead device (except for Amazon'ers which should cost no more than 99 for them), killed by Nexus 7.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
I've handled the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 side by side in a store... the Fire is heavy and bulky, even feel more bulky than my iPad1. I understand the Fire's position... but I flat out didn't care for its interface. The Nexus7 does have a WOW factor to it... the GUI is smooth and slick.

ICE has surpassed iOS in my book. But I'd prefer a 4:3 tablet... if there are no Android takers on that... then an iPad4 is most likely in my future.

thepieman

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
still not worth it

i dont think amazon should be in the hardware market at all. they're better off focusing on developing software for other, established platforms which aid in the consumption of their services (media, shopping, etc.) ironically enough the fire was developed for just this purpose, but there are better options for consuming amazon's services.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Don't care. Even if the original Fire is 50 bucks I'd still want to get a Nexus 7 over it. The Nexus 7 pretty much makes other 7 inch tablets paperweights in comparision.

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Quote - "Report: Amazon Kindle Fire Could Drop as Low as $169"

Well if you want to put it that way, the Amazon Kindle Fire COULD drop as low as $1... Not likely but it COULD happen.

G

I agree with what most of you say about the device. It can be limited if you want to do some crazy stuff with your tablet. For basic tasks like watching movies, reading books, or surfing the web it is excellent. It packs just enough punch to handle games well too. The review at this tech site spells out more than enough reasons to pick it up and the new price point should be enough to push many hesitant buyers over the fence.

G

Dont hate me but i found the BB playbook much better,even whith the mediocre apps availability....

Status
Not open for further replies.