Report: AMD to Drop Trinity APU Prices in April

Status
Not open for further replies.

myromance123

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Oh man that's good news! Now, I really hope it'll trickle down into my country as well. I see all these nice prices in the USA and UK, yet things stay fixed here until a month or so before new hardware versions are released. The only reason prices go down here last minute is because the shop owners are desperately trying to remove stock, while still obtaining a large profit. I hope the A10-5800k also gets reduced :)

Anyone know how well the A8-5600k runs in Ubuntu and Windows 8?

whitex

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
[citation][nom]myromance123[/nom]Oh man that's good news! Now, I really hope it'll trickle down into my country as well. I see all these nice prices in the USA and UK, yet things stay fixed here until a month or so before new hardware versions are released. The only reason prices go down here last minute is because the shop owners are desperately trying to remove stock, while still obtaining a large profit. I hope the A10-5800k also gets reduced Anyone know how well the A8-5600k runs in Ubuntu and Windows 8?[/citation]

I don't know about ubuntu but for Win 8, it really runs more than well.. Also good on Win 7 too. Kudos to AMD.

G

I'm not all that excited for richland on the desktop, but for laptops I am. You could actually have an ultrabook that could run for hours and play relatively new video games with something like a 19W quad core APU. It wouldn't do both simultaneously but it's good to know that I can just plug it into a wall and be able to play and have great battery life when not plugged in/gaming.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Slightly offtopic, but I wonder if Richland will be compatible with PSCheck as I want to undervolt it when I get an A10-5750m laptop.

The software is no longer available on AMD's website or any other download links that used to be valid (such as megaupload). If I do recall, the support logs mentioned that it had a beta support of Trinity, aka not fully tested/stable.

G

I don't know about undervolting but the roadmap does say that there's going to 17-25W processors. Considering trinity had quad-core processors in that range, richland probably will have it too. Undervolting might work, but waiting for a new processor is probably smarter.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]athulajp[/nom]I don't know about undervolting but the roadmap does say that there's going to 17-25W processors. Considering trinity had quad-core processors in that range, richland probably will have it too. Undervolting might work, but waiting for a new processor is probably smarter.[/citation]

Well, what if I want to undervolt the new APUs?...

InvalidError

Titan
Wonder how AMD's next APUs will measure up against Haswell using GT3 IGP.

If both sides improve their IGP as much as rumors say they did, we could very well see the beginning of GPU-less lower-midrange gaming at up to 1080p.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
These chips would have been much more appealing if they utilized the same socket type as their other lineup. The fact that I can't upgrade to an FX chip later down the line pretty much ensures that I will not purchase these APUs.

Also, since this price drop includes some of the FX chips, the title is misleading.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]InvalidError[/nom]Wonder how AMD's next APUs will measure up against Haswell using GT3 IGP.If both sides improve their IGP as much as rumors say they did, we could very well see the beginning of GPU-less lower-midrange gaming at up to 1080p.[/citation]

But on the flip side, with PS4 and Xbox 720 coming out in 2013 Q3 or 2014 Q1, there is most likely going to be a surge in demand for computing power in ported games.

If the new consoles are much more powerful than their predecessor, then the games running on the new consoles are going to be much more demanding.

In short: Richland/Kaveri and GT3 are not going to be sufficient for very long.

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Well, what if I want to undervolt the new APUs?...[/citation]

You should be able to unless they changed things, AMD always provides higher volts than each sample would need to work properly except temp limits decline the lower volts you use. Example a 19w apu under volted might only need 15w to work at rated speeds but become unstable at 80c when gaming. The sad part is the gpu tweaking is so limited and one almost always have to track down the best ram kits which are rare.

G

That's kind of stupid tbh, especially in a laptop, where power is important.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]You should be able to unless they changed things, AMD always provides higher volts than each sample would need to work properly except temp limits decline the lower volts you use. Example a 19w apu under volted might only need 15w to work at rated speeds but become unstable at 80c when gaming. The sad part is the gpu tweaking is so limited and one almost always have to track down the best ram kits which are rare.[/citation]

But if I was to undervolt it, then it would reduce the operating temp.

There are a few Youtube videos of undervolting a mobile Trinity/Llano APU.

[citation][nom]athulajp[/nom]That's kind of stupid tbh, especially in a laptop, where power is important.[/citation]

Intel, AMD, and Nvidia (probably more too) all do it for all of their processors AFAIK. It's done to ensure stability AFAIK, but the companies usually put on more than maybe 99% of their chips need. Knowing that all units of a given model will do the job that's expected of them is usually considered more important than knowing that most units of a given model are wasting a little energy to allow for less expensive binning.

[citation][nom]InvalidError[/nom]Wonder how AMD's next APUs will measure up against Haswell using GT3 IGP.If both sides improve their IGP as much as rumors say they did, we could very well see the beginning of GPU-less lower-midrange gaming at up to 1080p.[/citation]

Since GT3 is exclusive to mobility BGA platforms, against Richland E mobility it should be very close but GT3 parts are rumored to cost as high as $1500 while the top line Richland around $800.

On desktop GT2 is slower than Llano so its pointless to even make a Intel iGPU comparison because it is not competitive at all.

[citation][nom]blader15sk8[/nom]Now if only there were more Mini ITX boards for Trinity..[/citation]

ASRock have the A75 and A85 itx boards.

G

Not really, take into consideration that APU's are really useful for HTPC's, mitx should be more popular, since HTPC's are small.

blader15sk8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006

They are all $90+ when I can get an intel mITX board for $50 or less with bundle deals.. more boards = more options and combo deals = better prices. I can't justify buying a trinity CPU to save money compared to an intel CPU if I have to spend way more for the mobo. The ASrock mITX boards haven't gotten very favorable reviews either.

Status
Not open for further replies.