Report: AMD's Richland Flagship Will Be A10 6800K APU

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Nice APU!

Graphic-Units become more and more potential. - Hopefully, the cpu will also become better.

unionoob

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]if they can get the GPU to perform at a 550ti or above levels, im picking one up[/citation]

Indeed, if they could bring such power there would be no second thought to buy it or no. with APU's AMD could actually have a chance to expand in casual market. You could get great GPU power with decent CPU power for reasonable price ( cheaper then competitor) and that would be big yes for many I think.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
And I still wish somebody would kick Intel's ass in the pure performance cpu session, though hope is slowly drifting away as Intel is probably intentionally holding back full performance jumps and just giving users 5-10% performance increases, so, the only true hope I see in the future is a world where the x86 license won't be held so tight and companies can innovate easily if they want to enter the race not 20 years behind.
But I will still cheer for AMD when they kick Intel's ass in any direction they can. May, when time comes, the x86 monopolist be buried along with their tightly held IP.

mazty

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
[citation][nom]refillable[/nom]No matter whether this APU's GPU is going to perform better than a 550 Ti or not, budget gamers will still get an intel with a GPU. Especially when say an 8770 performs like a 660/7870.[/citation]
Budget gamers don't buy intel. That's just stupid.

unionoob

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
[citation][nom]refillable[/nom]No matter whether this APU's GPU is going to perform better than a 550 Ti or not, budget gamers will still get an intel with a GPU. Especially when say an 8770 performs like a 660/7870.[/citation]

from my own experience budget gamers don't care if that is intel or AMD or something else, they just care is money, as it has to be cheap with good performance.

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]virtualban[/nom]so, the only true hope I see in the future is a world where the x86 license won't be held so tight and companies can innovate easily if they want to enter the race not 20 years behind.But I will still cheer for AMD when they kick Intel's ass in any direction they can. May, when time comes, the x86 monopolist be buried along with their tightly held IP.[/citation]
if those major software developer start to program their software for ARM......

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
All they really have to do is ensure that their APU grpahics cores can operate in hybrid/crossfire (whatever it's called with APUs) mode with a wider variety of Graphics cards. If the current APUs could co-operate with my 6950 I'd have bought one faster than you can say GG All Ur Base Are Belong To Us. I mean hello... Cheers Intel (for us gamers at least).

They can't seriously not have thought of that themselves. Why limit their own products?

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
i'm waiting for kaveri myself it will have Radeons GCN on the gpu side and HSA support on the cpu side and will be based on the Steamroller arch, which should be out some time in the second half of 2013.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
[citation][nom]sonofliberty08[/nom]if those major software developer start to program their software for ARM......[/citation]
ARM in a desktop workstation/gaming rig... ha ha ha... ha.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
There is no official announcement from AMD that Richland is 28nm or it has GCN2.0 (HD8000) GPU.

@ Wolfgang Gruener : Quote me official source from which you wrote this 'article'.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
[citation][nom]Soda-88[/nom]ARM in a desktop workstation/gaming rig... ha ha ha... ha.[/citation]

Intel in a smartphone with more than 8 hours of battery... ha ha ha... ha.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
How can Richland have an 8000 series Graphics core when it hasn't been announced and trinity still uses a 6000 series graphics core?

I like the idea of going ARM though, low power + high performance (yes it can be done).

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]if they can get the GPU to perform at a 550ti or above levels, im picking one up[/citation]
More likely about half that.

All evidence I've seen leads me to believe higher-binned (new stepping?) 32-nm Piledriver cores with likely enhanced IOMMU and memory controller.

The Richlands *SIMD Engine Array* is not 28nm Cape Verdi, but called *Radeon Core 2* likely higher-clocked 40nm Turks MAYBE bumping the shaders (480 seems the next sweet spot in the Turks line --like a HD6670 or FirePro v4900-- but could be cut down even further for an APU)

Improved performance and efficiency, with a 'slide-ways' move toward HSA.

AMD-2013-roadmap_zps90ed6be3.jpg

Kaveri in 2H-13 [:lutfij:4]

dozerman

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]There is no official announcement from AMD that Richland is 28nm or it has GCN2.0 (HD8000) GPU.@ Wolfgang Gruener : Quote me official source from which you wrote this 'article'.[/citation]

The HD8K that will be used in this chip is still VLIW4 and not GCN. It's just rebranded last gen stuff, much like what nvidia does.

ananke

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
The GPU core is the "new" mobile 8000M, which is rebranded current generation core. No GCN, but VLIW4.

Btw. does the GPU has Silverlight hardware support? Anybody knows?

The Radeon 8800M has 640 *Cape Verde XT* GCN cores, or essentially an HD7770.

0-Cape-Verde-XT-mobile-8800_zpsa7b4eaf0.jpg

Silverlight acceleration is handled by the UVD (universal video decoder) using Avivo (AMD media codecs). Hard to say, really, where SL is headed. Hardware acceleration is getting better in SL but on most platforms it can still be a bit buggy.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
[strike]By the trend of what GPU architecture AMD uses for it's APU (last year's architecture), it seems that they might use GCN with this one (I hope they do). Here's to hoping as well that they're able to integrate some of the improvements (whatever they are) in the upcoming desktop HD 8000 series, which is assumed to be still GCN I think.

What confuses me is, what is "Richland" exactly? By the way it looks, it seems like it's an APU itself (like Trinity), but for some reason it says on Wikipedia that it's supposed to be the low-end Piledriver-based APU. This is probably outdated/erroneous info which Wikipedia is highly susceptible of having.

What still confuses me is, what happened to Kaveri? Is Richland just a 28nm transistor process shrink of Trinity i.e. still using Piledriver (plus other improvements like the GPU)? If that's so, would it come out in this same year as Kaveri? This entry in AMD's blog seems to confirm at least that part about having the same power consumption that Wolfgang (or his source) speculated.

Wisecracker's info seems to answer these questions, but I'm thinking a lot of this is still uncertain.[/strike]

EDIT: Oops. Just got to see your addition of that slide/pic now Wisecracker. Looks pretty legit. Just wondering, where'd you get it? Straight from AMD's website or another site showing it from CES or something? :)

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]silverblue[/nom]More likely about half that.[/citation]
Not sure about the downvoting, but are you lot realistically expecting a 384-shader part with no more than about 35GB/s SHARED bandwidth to perform similarly to a 550Ti? Really?

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]refillable[/nom]No matter whether this APU's GPU is going to perform better than a 550 Ti or not, budget gamers will still get an intel with a GPU. Especially when say an 8770 performs like a 660/7870.[/citation]I don't think budget gamers care if it's an Intel or AMD CPU, as long as they get good gaming performance on the cheap.

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I doubt you will see 550 Ti levels. The 7660D is not quite as good as a 640 (about 10-20% less). A 550ti is about 40-60% better than the 640. I think it unlikely to see a 50-70% jump in gpu power, especially as the 640 is completely memory bandwidth limited (the 650 is essentially the same chip but with a 18% boost in core speed it is about 40-60% better than the 640 (about equal to the 550 ti)). Until AMD figures out a way around the bandwidth problem they are unlikely to exceed 640 levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.