Report: Apple Does Not Care Enough About Workers in China

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
" The NYTimes article focuses on Apple"

Be suspecious of any complaints the NYTimes levies against Apple. Such complaints are akin to complaints by a bank robber against lax security in banking. The New York Times is another parasite infesting the public mind and railroading Americans into proxy wars for a foreign nation. The NYT will for ever be greatful to Steve Jobs for helping them survive what was a death fortold--the death that would have befallen the NYT propaganda rag had the march of technology not been hindered by the like of the con-artist Mr Jobs.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Apple and many other tech companies: "Is it cheap, does it work? Why is there blood and tears on this smartphone? Ah nevermind, just clean it up."

Consumers: "MOAR STUFF, AND CHEAPER!"

joeman99

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
President Obama directly asked Jobs, "What will it take to bring those jobs back to the US?" Jobs said "No!" without explanation.

He's dead now.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]rawful[/nom]Historically, I think every fiat money system has eventually fallen to inflation and devaluation.[/citation]
Yes. We are on the same page. Personally, I think the current world-wide financial system is failing, or at the very least, something new needs to be done.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]rawful[/nom]Hypocritical? We have no choice but to buy things made in China. We go to a store, what choices do we have? We need to buy a new phone, what choices do we have? We need a new computer/part, what choices do we have? I do whatever I can not to fund the corporate system. I buy food locally whenever possible from local farmers/butchers. I do not buy things I do not absolutely need. I do not have a smartphone or a tablet.You say that if we don't like it, don't buy things made in China? Ok, I guess we will all just live in empty houses with absolutely nothing because we can't buy anything else. Sounds like you are being more hypocritical than me.[/citation]
Exactly!!! With the past "economic climate in the US" favoring off-shore production, millions of factory jobs went overseas because it "made economic sense" to do so. Now, however, that China is catching up, more US manufacturers are realizing the bringing "production" jobs back to the US made sense.

And, it used to be that what was manufactured in the US, especially in the auto industry, was pure crap. IMHO, the only way that the migration of factory jobs back to the US will survive is IF what is manufactured in the US does not fall anywhere near the bounds of crap.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]You can always buy the next non-made in China product. You can always send emails to companies making yourself clear about this issue. You can always donate money to ONGs that protect civil rights and help them reach out more folks in their conditions (since China is not the only country like that). You can go help those ONGs. You can always tell the folk at your side about this issue and spread the word.And those are the not-over-the-top things you can actually do to help improve this situation, but the thing is, we are all lazy and don't really care since it's "far away" from us anyway and we DO WANT THE CHEAP PRODUCTS.Feel bad about yourselves when buying things made in China. At least you could do that. And no, I'm not being sarcastic.Cheers![/citation]
Many people, myself included, have for years complained about things being made outside the US and getting customer service from someone who is barely able to communicate with us. Companies do not care. All companies care about is how much of their customer's money they can transfer from their customer's pocket to the company's bank account. Anything that does not make economic sense is shot down like a stinky pile of you know what.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]rawful[/nom]I have honestly disagreed with every single viewpoint you have had on every issue I have seen you comment on. I consider your mentality to be completely unacceptable in society, and would label you as a psychopath. You, and people like you, are the root of the reason we are in such dire times.You dare to justify third world working conditions by saying they could have it slightly worse by not working in the sweat shop? What happens when they get injured in the job? They get fired and starve to death. Working in the sweat shop propagates this system. You, by not caring about anything but your wallet, propagate this system. You should be the one working in the sweat shop, and then see how badly you wish people like you didn't exist.[/citation]

and if they work anywhere else in a third world country and get hurt, they are treated with the best doctors and the best money can possibly buy, and are awarded multi million dollar settlements.

i think your view of a world that craps rainbows is pathetically idealized.

and lets get this across. if you get injured in a first world country, and you did everything properly, i want you to be treated with good medical, workmans comp, and possible a cash settlement if there is fault on the employer.

if its your fault you got hurt, i want you to get treated, but not comp or settlement, and expect you to get fired

if you where impaired (high, non prescription you aren't use to i mean real drugs, or alcohol), i think you should be immediately dropped from any heath coverage, and you pay everything out of pocket, that means you die, than so be it.

i'm not a prick to third world countries because they are away from us, i'm saying STOP PLACING FIRST WORLD VALUES ON AN IMPOVERISHED THIRD WORLD COUNTRY, the world isn't a bright place and the sooner people realize that the sooner we can start really fixing things instead of band aiding them.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]Give me a break. Look at all the foxconn parts inside any modern non-apple computer.I've had enough of talk about these laborers. Every computer manufacturer is to blame quite frankly.And no I don't own an ipod, iphone, mac, macbook, etc.[/citation]

So what your saying is that you don't care about the workers at all since you don't want to hear about it? Sounds like the average Apple customer alright.

Yes, many hardware companies are to blame for this but currently one is in a better position to make sure something happens, as you fanbois use to point out - The margins are higher in the sheep pens than the other alternatives so who is by that logic profiting the most from the dead workers and thus have the biggest headroom to change all that?

Its only natural that the biggest offender is the prime target when the spotlight turns the rotten issue into the light.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]So what your saying is that you don't care about the workers at all since you don't want to hear about it? Sounds like the average Apple customer alright.Yes, many hardware companies are to blame for this but currently one is in a better position to make sure something happens, as you fanbois use to point out - The margins are higher in the sheep pens than the other alternatives so who is by that logic profiting the most from the dead workers and thus have the biggest headroom to change all that?Its only natural that the biggest offender is the prime target when the spotlight turns the rotten issue into the light.[/citation]

if its their choice to work there, i don't care...
personally if i was in china and my future was so bleak that foxicon was an option i would probably kill myself too.
its sad, but thats just how the world is, and always will be.

v3rlon

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
I just love how everyone is hating on Apple, but giving a pass to everyone else including all 3 game consoles, WinTel motherboards and so on. Blame Foxconn more than their customers. Rationalizing a reason to het one Apple is just dumb. Foxconn could always charge more for their products if they were having issues making payroll. If Foxconn is doing wrong, it is a FOXCONN wrongdoing. Whatever their failings, I am pretty sure Apple didn't specifically pressure Foxconn to mistreat their employees. They just wanted the best price they could get. I work in manufacturing, and our customers do not dictate our working conditions either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS