Report: Apple to Move Mac Mini Production to United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Splendid
Nice. Very nice. I'd like to see Dell and some other big manufacturers follow suite. Hate Apple all you want but at least they're doing something...and something is more than a lot of other large OEMs are doing.

Mastashake15

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
I dislike Apple, but this is a step in the right direction. Getting tired of seeing nearly everything made in China or some other useless country.

jakes69

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
they should move iphone production to the US. Mac Mini is probably the least popular product from Apple. This looks more a publicity stunt.

G

yeah well try to get a job there. typical asian passive aggressive bullshit. their pretty little helpful webpages about getting a job at a us location all point to dead-ends.

jnjkele

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
'Made' in US as well as assembled would be nice, but guess what - it won't happen anytime soon and it has nothing to do with labor costs. Is anyone familiar with how a chip fab works? The bulk of the world's chip fabs that can churn out the complex stuff (not the nand flash you see micron making in the US) is located in asia, and getting a new one built here is a multi-billion dollar regulatory nightmare. Until someone fixes the regulatory mess, you won't see much new chip fab capacity on US soil.

pedro_mann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
[citation][nom]jnjkele[/nom]'Made' in US as well as assembled would be nice, but guess what - it won't happen anytime soon and it has nothing to do with labor costs. Is anyone familiar with how a chip fab works? The bulk of the world's chip fabs that can churn out the complex stuff (not the nand flash you see micron making in the US) is located in asia, and getting a new one built here is a multi-billion dollar regulatory nightmare. Until someone fixes the regulatory mess, you won't see much new chip fab capacity on US soil.[/citation]
What's funny, remember when IBM invented the hard drive, and they were all manufactured in the US to start with? What has happened since then?

Remember that funny invention the transistor, made in the US. What has happened since then?

So yeah, it will be hard to bring alot of manufacturing back to the US, but why did it leave in the first place? Corporate greed, I'de suspect. Problem is, the offshoring of manufacturing is part of the death spiral for our economy, and it may bee too late already.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[citation][nom]Halcyon[/nom]Nice. Very nice. I'd like to see Dell and some other big manufacturers follow suite. Hate Apple all you want but at least their doing something...and something is more than a lot of other large OEMs are doing.[/citation]
FYI, this Foxconn's not Apple's move. Anyway, is HP already doing this as all of its sold US servers made here in US?

Apple is doing squat. Foxconn is moving state side. The chips will still be made in China, while everything else will be put together state-side. This has very little to do with Apple wanting to make things in any particular area, and everything to do with our Gov'ts views on trade with China and their recent moves to 'level the playing field'.

When the product is mostly sold here, and it becomes expensive to import to where the sales are, then you simply start manufacturing the product where it sells. Simple math, nothing more or less than that.

I wonder if this will give displaced auto workers a line to work on? And I also wonder what the suicide rate will look like when unions are unable to get a foot-hold in foxconn.

"Made in America" is only good for the country if it brings good medium to high paying jobs to America. Bringing low paid jobs to America, while corporate profits get shipped over seas is not exactly the 'progress' we are looking for.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]pedro_mann[/nom]So yeah, it will be hard to bring alot of manufacturing back to the US, but why did it leave in the first place? Corporate greed, I'd suspect. Problem is, the offshoring of manufacturing is part of the death spiral for our economy, and it may bee too late already.[/citation]

About every simulation about different government types have ended up with the conclusion that a ultra capitalistic society where there arent strong anti greed laws always end up dead in the water with a handful of ultra rich who owns 90%+ and the rest living in misery. Its due to a flaw in the human nature - greed where some have the need to stockpile wealth well beyond what can be consumed in generations ahead.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]mt2e[/nom]Im trying to save yall damn money don't downvote my comment lol[/citation]

Then make a forum thread in the appropriate section dude.

jcoa

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Chances are these jobs will not be laborer jobs. For Foxcom to make a profit in the United States, the manufacturing plants will have to be automated. Therefore, the need for support personal, which would have to be trained, higher paying positions, would be necessary. It would also take income away from the Chinese labor force. Therefore helping the GNP. Baby steps my friends.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Halcyon[/nom]Nice. Very nice. I'd like to see Dell and some other big manufacturers follow suite. Hate Apple all you want but at least they're doing something...and something is more than a lot of other large OEMs are doing.[/citation]

Except this isn't Apple, so fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.