News Report: Apple's 5nm Arm-Based Macs Will Feature 12 Cores, Launch 2021

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
As Intel continues to lag with its CPU tech, Apple is reportedly taking matters into its own hands with a purported 12-core Arm chip for Macs.

Report: Apple's 5nm Arm-Based Macs Will Feature 12 Cores, Launch 2021 : Read more
Apple has been become more and more vertically integrated - so the move to it's own derivative of ARM is not surprising and has little to do with Intel. Buying Intel's 5G portfolio to make it's own modems, would not be surprised if they bought a display company. Apple, like Tesla wants to control as much of the supply chain as they can - and if they can bring it in house, the will.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
So Apple is switching back to RISC in its computers, after all these years.
Eh, ARMv8-A isn't really that RISCy. I don't think that's the most salient aspect of the decision, anyway.

If RISC-V were more mature, I wonder if Apple would be embracing it, instead. Or if POWER had become royalty-free, a few years earlier, maybe they'd even switch back to it - wouldn't that be a hoot?

Put another way, I wonder how much they're paying for licensing the ARM ISA.

tom111111

Reputable
Dec 30, 2019
Eh, ARMv8-A isn't really that RISCy. I don't think that's the most salient aspect of the decision, anyway.

If RISC-V were more mature, I wonder if Apple would be embracing it, instead. Or if POWER had become royalty-free, a few years earlier, maybe they'd even switch back to it - wouldn't that be a hoot?

Put another way, I wonder how much they're paying for licensing the ARM ISA.
All cpus are RISC or a combination of RISC and CISC.

Last edited: