Report: Asus, Google Working on Next-gen Nexus 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]Is the SOC still going to be Tegra 3? If so I will pass.[/citation]
The Tegra3 was already somewhat old when the N7 came out so I would expect Tegra4 or equivalent/better.

I'm not buying another tablet without micro-SDHC/SDXC slot though. I have one SD-less N7 already, I don't want another.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]InvalidError[/nom]The Tegra3 was already somewhat old when the N7 came out so I would expect Tegra4 or equivalent/better.I'm not buying another tablet without micro-SDHC/SDXC slot though. I have one SD-less N7 already, I don't want another.[/citation] Lack of SDHC/SDXC was why I had to pass up the N7 in the first place. Regrettable as it's really nice to use, but I just need the storage. Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 for me - which is actually quite fast on a custom ROM (almost twice as fast as stock, the stock ROM really holds it back). Still, made great gifts for my girlfriend and my Dad , neither of them need the expandability.

Google deliberately don't put HDMI and SD card support in to allow other vendors to compete though, so I don't expect they will add it to any future models.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]InvalidError[/nom]I'm not buying another tablet without micro-SDHC/SDXC slot though. I have one SD-less N7 already, I don't want another.[/citation]

[citation][nom]CrArC[/nom]Lack of SDHC/SDXC was why I had to pass up the N7 in the first place.[/citation]

What do you guys use your tablets for? I got a 16GB Nexus 7 in July and it has over 10GB available even if I have a bunch of games on it. Is anyone seriously storing movies on their tablets? I could understand if you're homeless, but surely there are better ways to watch movies than on a 7" handheld?

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I would also like an SD card slot. I tend to like to have enough storage to it multiple anime series on the tablet for viewing when traveling.
PS the nexus 7 and nexus 10 both have the input for an sdhc card slot, they just chose not to install the card slot so that they can sell 2 storage tiers.

SDHC support is built into many SOC's and generally only requires the slot to be installed. ( in some cases a few passive components such as resistors and capacitors may be needed, but you will not find a modern ARM based SOC without a sdhc pinout, and by modern, I mean from the past 10 years.

Hdmi output requires an additional active controller.

sdhc slots are extremely cheap, you even see them in those cheap $40 chinese tablets. And if you really want to cheapout, you can simply change the pcb layout to run the sdhc traces to the end of the board, then use part of the case as the body Of the slot. The cutout will Reduce the cost of the case since slightly less plastic is being used, the tiny beads of solder will be at the ends of those traces, and that requires no change on the wave solder machine, it does not increase the cost of the PCB since they come completely covered in copper, and the acid bath removes all but the wanted traces.

Any cost added by the solder, will offset by the plastic saved on the case.

scythe944

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]razor512[/nom]I would also like an SD card slot. I tend to like to have enough storage to it multiple anime series on the tablet for viewing when traveling.PS the nexus 7 and nexus 10 both have the input for an sdhc card slot, they just chose not to install the card slot so that they can sell 2 storage tiers.SDHC support is built into many SOC's and generally only requires the slot to be installed. ( in some cases a few passive components such as resistors and capacitors may be needed, but you will not find a modern ARM based SOC without a sdhc pinout, and by modern, I mean from the past 10 years.Hdmi output requires an additional active controller.sdhc slots are extremely cheap, you even see them in those cheap $40 chinese tablets. And if you really want to cheapout, you can simply change the pcb layout to run the sdhc traces to the end of the board, then use part of the case as the body Of the slot. The cutout will Reduce the cost of the case since slightly less plastic is being used, the tiny beads of solder will be at the ends of those traces, and that requires no change on the wave solder machine, it does not increase the cost of the PCB since they come completely covered in copper, and the acid bath removes all but the wanted traces.Any cost added by the solder, will offset by the plastic saved on the case.[/citation]

You're missing the point. Google doesn't add external storage slots to make you use their online "cloud" services instead. They are an advertising company that makes money off of your interests. If you had all the storage you ever wanted on your device, you'd be able to use their tablet completely off of their network almost and they'd never get any useful data off of you.

They could easily add it, they just don't WANT to.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]scythe944[/nom]You're missing the point. Google doesn't add external storage slots to make you use their online "cloud" services instead.[/citation]
Since I use my N7 mostly when I am away from home and WiFi, all Google's cloud-based stuff is worthless to me. Either I have my data at my fingertips or not at all.

Google got caught with their pants down on unexpected high demand for the 16GB model. Hopefully this will be a clear enough hint that people still prefer taking their data with them.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]MadeUpNeeds[/nom]@kawininjazx I don't see any need for an update at all.[/citation]
2GB RAM (the norm for 2013 ARM platforms), Tegra4 (guess - certainly won't be Tegra3), hopefully dual-band 11N and 1080p screen for $200-250... I would buy one of these if I did not already have a N7. I might still consider upgrading to one if it has SDHC and micro-HDMI.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]What do you guys use your tablets for? I got a 16GB Nexus 7 in July and it has over 10GB available even if I have a bunch of games on it. Is anyone seriously storing movies on their tablets? I could understand if you're homeless, but surely there are better ways to watch movies than on a 7" handheld?[/citation]

my phone has 32 gigs and even that is slammed full of data, but it is the galaxy nexus so i can't add a memory card, never buying another device without expandable memory for this reason. i don't see how anybody would not want expandable memory, throw some shows and movies on a memory card and pop it in when you want to use the media, i have alot of large pdf files, some cad files that i need access to and minimal media, not all users just ose thier smartphones and tablets for looking at pictures of cats some of us do actual work on them when we are in a place a computer can't go

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS