Report: Avexir Promises 3400 MHz DDR4 Memory Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan
CAS latency?
As they said: "We’re not sure what the timings will be"

In other words: not announced yet so nobody knows but we can hazard a guess from well established patterns so far that it will suck relative to current high-end DDR3 as all DDR4 most likely will for the next year or so. Once DDR4 trickles down to mainstream with Skylake, volumes may start becoming large enough to support binning chips for premium product lines.

For now, the production volume and yields likely cannot support different product lines with more aggressive timings so manufacturers are not bothering to split hairs..

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
What is the advantage of DDR4 as opposed to DDR3? (besides voltages which I wouldn't care about on a PC workstation) Or is DDR4 the required memory for a Hawell E chip?

InvalidError

Titan

It is. That's why memory manufacturers waited until the imminent release of Haswell-E motherboards and CPUs before bothering to offer mainstream DDR4. Until now, the only DDR4 you could get was for servers.

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
Currently, I'm not very interested in DDR4 memory, despite waiting for it for a couple years now. The speeds are comparable to high end DDR3 at present, and the modules aren't any denser. That, with the price, just makes it impractical at the moment, but that's how bleeding edge tech goes. You pay development costs in exchange for being the first to get your hands on it.

That being said though...

I'm looking forward to how quickly this will evolve. Give me 3.6GHz and some 16GB sticks, and I'll definitely be right there to purchase it for a few hundred.

Status
Not open for further replies.