News Report: Big Tech Firms Mull Moving Production From China, but Not to the US

RealBeast

Titan
It makes a lot of sense to move out of China to a country that has cheap labor and solves the supply chain disruption with China that could last a while and remain unstable for some time.

No way they would come to the US -- labor is too expensive and likely to get more expensive, plus all the regulations here.

Reactions: coolitic

daddywalter

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
All of the countries mentioned as alternatives to China are good, but I'm a bit familiar with the Philippines' major manufacturing location at the former Clark Air Base. (I was stationed at Clark 1973-74, and have followed the area's progress since then..) Lots of manufacturing infrastructure there, an excellent airport for both passengers and cargo, and good highway access to the seaport at Subic Bay. The Filipino people are both hard-working and detail-oriented -- they take pride in their work. A potentially big bonus: both English and Spanish are spoken nearly as commonly as the Tagalog-based Filipino language. It's one of the fastest-growing locations for tech industry in Southeast Asia, with an educated, skilled workforce. All this may also be true for the other nations in the region, but I know the Philippines far better than the others and it would be a great choice for tech companies looking to relocate operations out of China.

Reactions: coolitic

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Foxconn is starting to move out of China, and into Taiwan, and Philippines, maybe Malaysia on some. But Taiwan will be the major benefactor, because Terry Gou is running for a Presidential Seat.
Thus Dell, HP, Google, Apple, and the rest is moving.
End of story.