Report: Cisco Looking to Sell Linksys Division

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenrider02

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
WRT54GL

Before Cisco had Linksys, these were the best routers you could get for the money.

Hopefully they can return to that reliability and quality.

sun-devil99

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
E3200

Bought this spring and have no issues. I had a WRT model as well that I retired only because I wanted dual-band and USB support. Been very happy with Linksys which is more than I can say for Belkin. First wireless router I owned, thing self-destructed right after the warranty was up. Also have a wireless bridge from Linksys, no problems. Do also have a couple Netgear wireless adapters which have been awesome. If Belkin were to buy Linksys, it would be a boom for Netgear as those who are familiar with the market stay away from anything Belkin.

Belkin earned a place on my "Do Not Buy" list after EVERY Belkin product I bought over a roughly five year period died within hours or days of initial use. This included three routers and, get this, a set of spark plug wires.
With that history of screwing up, why take the chance?

[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]I hope belkin doe snto buy them.. i like belkin routers and have been using them because they are better then linksys (or at leas more reliable)[/citation]

is that suppose to be "i hope does not buy them" ?

[citation][nom]sun-devil99[/nom] Been very happy with Linksys which is more than I can say for Belkin. First wireless router I owned, thing self-destructed right after the warranty was up. <snip> If Belkin were to buy Linksys, it would be a boom for Netgear as those who are familiar with the market stay away from anything Belkin.[/citation]

Maybe i've just been lucky (or maybe the newer routers are crap) but my family have/had a 3 Belkin routers over 10 years and they last well beyond there warranty.

First was just a 4 port wired router in early 2000's (only had 1 desktop and no laptops at the time). Had that for for a number years then my dad gave that to a friend when there router failed (think there router was a netgear.) It might still working to this day but probably not being used with laptops/smart phones being the rage.

Second was a G router in '05 around that lasted about 3 years until power surge took that out (it took out other things as well even though all the stuff taken out was on power surge protectors). Only issue with this router was that it's range was a bit weak even though we were in a medium size house at the time.

3rd and currently my family has a F5D8233-4v3 that was bought in mid '08 and is still going strong. No issue with this, performance is good for the majority of the family as they only use the internet and transfer doc's on the network drive (I'm the only one that can really make the network crawl with HD TV recordings playing from WMC or transferring large ISO images.) ,and the range as been great even with moving into 3 different house with very different floor plans.

yes, I am familiar with the market and well aware that some people have issues with Belkin. Although I have my personal experience to go on as well and nothing major has made me turn away from getting them.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Linksys routers were decent before the acquisition by cisco. Got worse after the acquisition, but I think their stuff's quality has stabilized. To be honest, all my recent purchases have been tp link. Cheep, decent enough, with lots of features. I have been running a mid-range tp link for about 2 months and only just had to reboot the server for the 1st time. Much cheaper than Linksys.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Good, maybe then the new owners can return the Linksys name back to something more than just the cash-in brand recognition that Cisco used it for.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I've only owned 3 routers. The first one was a Netgear that died after about 2 weeks. Then I bought one of the WRT54Gs, and used it for about 8 years.

About 6 months ago I upgraded to a Linksys EA4500, which was expensive but had good reviews, and it's been trouble-free so far.

The WRT54G meanwhile lives on at my brother's house.

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Linksys routers were decent before the acquisition by cisco. Got worse after the acquisition, but I think their stuff's quality has stabilized. To be honest, all my recent purchases have been tp link. Cheep, decent enough, with lots of features. I have been running a mid-range tp link for about 2 months and only just had to reboot the server for the 1st time. Much cheaper than Linksys.[/citation]

Same here, I started with a tp-link G (WR541G) router about 4 years ago (never had it fail even once) and replaced it recently with a tp-link N (WR841N) router that has likewise never failed. By never failed, I mean that after setting it up, the only time it has ever reset or lost connection has been due to power interruption or ISP connection failure.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
I have an EA4500 Dual band N900 (cost me $250 here in Mexico) and other than it is still running it connects to all four of my laptops at slower speeds and weaker signals than both my tp-link N300 and my Telmex WIFI DSL modem. Will never buy Linksys again. Next time I'm waiting to til I visit the States and sticking to either tp-link or netgear.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I digress here... but...
Get an old/obsolete PC with 2 NICs and stick pfSense on it. Use any wireless router you have as an AP only, disabling the DHCP server.

Once you complete the learning curve on pfSense, NONE of these names will matter to you ever again.
;o)

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Have a WRT54G that's worked great for almost 10 years. No complaints other than that it is only 100 mbps for the wired ports (up and down).

Have an RVS4000 that's worked *ok* for 5 years. Firmware updates have been both good and bad. Settings don't always work as expected. Cisco invested basically $0 in fixing and updating the firmware. Also, it doesn't support IPv6 on the internet side (why?!), so no IPv6 support outside the LAN, and there aren't any FW updates to change that.

After what I saw with the lack of FW update support, I started steering clear of Linksys.

k7mm

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
My vote for netgear buying them.

Any one else?...or any other company?

They will probably be broken up....or sold to some no name chinese company

G

i recently purchased Cisco Linksys WAG120N, and i can't connect to it wirelessly from Windows 7 laptop. Computers running Windows XP connect without a problem. I found out there is a software issue between Linksys and Windows 7 at communication dhcp flags and nobody feels responsible to fix it.
Linksys firmware is from 2010, contains know and openly reported bugs, eg. with QoS and i guess now there is even no hope for update. I doubt that anybody would like to invest hundreds millions for a such a bad reputation.

I also have Zyxel, Tplink and Dlink router, and i've never had such problems, not to mention they offer tonnes of options what Linksys is missing, eg. i cant set static IPs, no ADSL signal parameters like Snr, no wifi output power etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.