Report: Dell, HP Working on 3D Gaming Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I wouldn't pay more than an extra $50 for it. Flat-screen gaming is good enough for me right now. In the future, I can see this becoming more popular and having better uses than just more visually appealing games. Then I would more seriously consider it.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Its a fad. It'll have a lack of support, and then you'll have shelled out the extra cash for something that is hardly supported. Kind of like buying a dedicated physics card.

G

I'm not holding my breath. It'll probably be overpriced and not as powerful as it could/should be. I'll stick with my powerful and well-priced Gateway model.

*Still waiting on some sort of industry adopted hardware standards for interchangeable and/or upgradeable video cards for laptops. :/* This is way way way overdue, esp. with the general migration to laptops...

I never understood the whole laptop gaming market.
Lets see... slower performance for more money...
Unless your somewhat rich laptop gaming is not a option.
Plus I like the idea that I can upgrade my video card to whatever I choose. (All the other components I can upgrade easily because I'm a technician.)

dtm4trix

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
What would be better is to have some goggles where each eye would be rendered independently of each other puttin you in the game. I just don't see pay a huge price premium for something that kind of looks 3D coming off a laptop monitor. Laptop 3D gaming=waste of hard earned money.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Three things are certain:1. You will pay a huge premium kind of like Apple Tax.2. Won't come close to a high end desktop.3. You can build a better desktop for about the same price as this laptop.[/citation]

3. Is always true. It can be about LAN parties though, and when there's $600-900 gaming laptops it can easily be worth it.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Don't get your hopes up on full HD for your laptop, I'd bet 1366 x 768 at best, I've noticed this trend in recent years releasing not just netbooks at low res but notebooks as well. Manufacturers will try and say it's HD 720P, yeah right. We all know that laptop GPU's are not comparable to desktop and workstation GPU's so I'd say that it may be 3D but really low res, probably 1280 x 800 at best for the rext couple GPU generations.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Give me a cheap screen, cheap ram/cpu etc. and just give me a 4890m!
How fucking hard is it to just put a decent goddamn video card in a laptop that doesn't cost 2 grand?
Why does putting a mobile 4870 or whatever somehow make the laptop twice the price?

Stop fucking us over on mobile gaming... it's those kinda of assholes and idiots that help give the mindset that gaming is for desktops only...

G

Anybody who remembers Star Wars and the scene with R2-D2 and the Holographic message from Princess Lei, "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi"........

If they could come out with a laptop that had true 3-D technology such as Holographic projector, now that would truely make gaming more interesting. :)

Laptop and gaming aren't something that work well together...

The battery life is bad, the performances are underwhelming and it cost more than twice the price of a good gaming desktop.

shurcooL

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
Lol, I didn't realize this article was talking about the stereoscopic 3D effect using shutter glasses, but rather normal 3D games (as opposed to 2D) at first. I was really confused and thinking "wth, is this an article from '99?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS