Report: DRAM Prices to Continue Increasing in April

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xu En

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
Rational is bullshit - iphone ram demand is a minute fraction of world demand.

Can you say cartel? Happened before, will happen again - google "DRAM price fixing" or "memory cartel" and form your own opinion.

Earthquake in Taiwan (8 Apr 2013) affected production - but that doesn't explain the rise.

Let's name the bitches last time (€331m fine - http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-10-586_en.htm , also multi 100m$ fines and multiple admissions of guilt in the US too..) : Micron, Samsung, Hynix, Infineon, NEC, Hitachi, Mitsubishi, Toshiba, Elpida and Nanya

But maybe I'm just a paranoid crank this time? State of California and 32 other states don't think so eg http://www.law360.com/cases/50769e27e9be1a076500438d or http://www.law360.com/cases/5075dac5f662aa0c8a00438c ..

etc etc. Last time the proceedings took 8 years - so don't hold yuor breath for a legally binding decision

Abion47

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2012
[citation]...DigiTimes reported that Samsung gas made efforts...[/citation]

I didn't know Samsung was going into the gas industry. I guess they'll get sued by Exxon-Mobil soon...

ITFT

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2012
Well the RAM is pretty cheap these days anyway, so even 10% rise wouldn't make much difference, SHAME of course that it's going up, even though they sell the same chips they used to sell 3 years ago...

The main problem here In my opinion is that the DDR4 is not out yet, nor it is needed for modern CPU, therefore there is no such boost for new RAM.

Looks like the PC market is finished, I just hope that sooner or later the manufacturers like Intel for example will realise that they could make more money by lowering the price...

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]goodguy713[/nom]I think its price fixing .. personally ..[/citation]
If it was price fixing, Elpida would not have gone bankrupt.

For a good chunk of of the past two years, DRAM manufacturers were selling at or even below cost just to keep their fabs running to avoid the several millions it costs to stop and restart production lines. The price increases simply bring things back to a point where surviving manufacturers can start recovering their losses.

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
The day DRAM becomes expensive is the day the world ends. This better not be another scam like what they did with the HDDs. I'm sure they've recovered from the flood, especially since they've been charging about double they used too for HDDs :(

Dr_plague

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
I love reading this in September. The cheapest 4gb and 2gb of ram on newegg right now is $33 and $21..... this is absolutely insane..... price fixing fursure

InvalidError

Titan

If you want to talk about insane, I paid ~$400 for 256MB of RAM 13 years ago so $33 for 4GB still looks ridiculously cheap to me.

It isn't much of a surprise that 4GB DIMMs have much lower $/GB than 2GB ones since most of the cost of a 2GB DIMM is the DRAM die packaging, PCB, retail/OEM packaging and distribution which are common costs for all DIMM sizes.

BTW, one of Hynix's DRAM fabs got shut down by a fire last week so expect prices to go up quite a bit.

andcas7

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
About 1 1/2 years ago, I paid $50 for 8 GB of DDR3 ram, now, same 8GB kit is $93, that is almost twice what I paid, all while SSD prices slowly drop. I will upgrade my HDD to an SSD before I buy another ram kit at these prices.

mrcyco

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
Brought some 8GB hyper x beast for my first build I thought £69 down from £99 was a good price.Then found a review (back Dec 2012) Quoting £44 as the rrp

Status
Not open for further replies.