Report: FTC Looking to Bring Antitrust Case Against Google

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
the FTC is also looking into Google's handling of valuable patents. The government agency is trying to determine if these patents are licensed fairly, and if patent infringement lawsuits filed by Google are actually used to hamper competitor innovation.

Uhh... Where's the FTC when it comes to Apple? Apple has been trying to put Android manufacturers out of business for 3 years now. They don't want to license patents, they go for product import bans over stuff like a ridiculous "rounded rectangle" patent. :pfff:

As a way of showing my appreciation, I just bought 2 new Galaxy S3s from Best buy on Sunday. F*** you Apple.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
How about Google adding a comments section for each website or domain for users to rate and comment on. So if some website is selling garbage, fraud, or malware users will be aware of it.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]It's not Google's fault it tends to be the best in what it does.[/citation]

ftc "no, you cant advertise your own product over your competitors, that isnt fair to them that when someone uses your search engine, your things show up first"

i say if they want to be #1 on a search engine, make their own.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Is google obligated to provide "fair" search results?
If they are I can see how this is a problem, but is that the case? I mean we choose to use and trust google's search results; if there is unacceptable bias the consumer could choose not to use the search.
I don't know anything about law in these matters tho, so I'm curious to hear what someone who knows has to say.

builder4

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Try googling "search engine" - dogpile, bing and altavista all come before google in the results. Even though NO ONE uses dogpile or altavista.
If you search for "email", hotmail comes up before gmail.
If you search for "browser", firefox and opera come up before chrome.
I don't think the problem is as serious as they are making out.

colson79

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
It always amuses me that on Tom's hardware, no matter what the article is about some manages to bring in Apple to the comments. This article didn't mention Apple at all, yet the first comment post talks about Apple. The Apple hate on this site is Epic.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]Uhh... Where's the FTC when it comes to Apple? Apple has been trying to put Android manufacturers out of business for 3 years now. They don't want to license patents, they go for product import bans over stuff like a ridiculous "rounded rectangle" patent. As a way of showing my appreciation, I just bought 2 new Galaxy S3s from Best buy on Sunday. F*** you Apple.[/citation]

Amazed such an ignorant comment could get so many likes. Actually, I'm not. Par for the course on most forums.

Case in point: Apple attempted to license their patents to Samsung BEFORE the lawsuit was filed. Microsoft has already licensed those same patents from Apple for the Surface.

So much for your BS comment about Apple not licensing.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Haha, google is getting in trouble for flimsy patent lawsuits? The FTC should take a look at the whole tech industry. As for the hate on Apple, they are the most aggressive defenders of design and software patents on the planet. Both of which (types of patents) would be the first to disappear if our system was ever to be fixed. There is pretty much an inverse correlation between a company exercising it's patents (and it's success at doing so) and that company's willingness to innovate.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
"The government agency is trying to determine if these patents are licensed fairly, and if patent infringement lawsuits filed by Google are actually used to hamper competitor innovation." This is the point of all patent infringement lawsuits in the tech sector, which have been on the rise for the past decade.

What does any of this have to do with Apple?? You guys baffle me. This is basically the same anti competitive tactics Microsoft used in the mid-90's. If you're okie dokie with being steered and herded like cattle or sheep then none of this applies to you. Otherwise it's a problem for the masses who either work for or own any company that's losing business and or being held hostage by Google's relevant (i.e. paid or sponsored) Google searches. Best has no relevance, and the only relevance is the monopolistic Google.

The 'patent' issues are low on the totem pole in this antitrust suit.

Imagine if Microsoft steered it's OS against Google or anything non-Microsoft? Well they did until their own antitrust suit.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
The Government hates on Google some more... Sorry FTC, but shouldn't you be paying attention to the real anti-trust issues?

I also LOL at the Apple hate, but the article can be directly applies to Apple's ridiculous patents and them attempting to stifle competitors with frivolous lawsuits.

As to the comment about Apple asking Samsung to license their products, you have that 100% backwards. Samsung asked Apple to license their products under FRAND terms, Apple said F U, then attempted to get Samsung products banned using a patent for a rectangle with rounded corners...

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Amazed such an ignorant comment could get so many likes. Actually, I'm not. Par for the course on most forums.Case in point: Apple attempted to license their patents to Samsung BEFORE the lawsuit was filed. Microsoft has already licensed those same patents from Apple for the Surface.So much for your BS comment about Apple not licensing.[/citation]

U jelly bro?

Apple's Director of Patent Licensing and Strategy, Boris Teslker:
Teksler testified there were three categories of patents held by Apple: Those required for standards, those for core computing and those related to Apple’s unique user interface. Teksler said that Apple has no interest in licensing those patents.

“It’s what we don’t wish to share and don’t want others to mimic,” Teksler said

Yeah... That's Apple being oh so cooperative for you, kinda like how the iphone's music management works. Apple to iphone users: Use itunes or f*** off. What exactly has Apple done here to allow others to build products around the iphone? Microsoft did this with IE and got sued the crap out of. Apple openly builds a hardware chip to prevent other companies from building iaccessories.

Apple is the definition of Anti-Competitive behavior, and it's pretty hypocritical of the FTC to go after Google who is essentially giving away Android instead of Apple for trying to stop it.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
i am stunned by the volume of tom's readers defending google ... google is a dirty rotten company ,i haven't used their a-- end search engine since 2001. it's about time some one stepped up to these f---ers.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]colson79[/nom]It always amuses me that on Tom's hardware, no matter what the article is about some manages to bring in Apple to the comments. This article didn't mention Apple at all, yet the first comment post talks about Apple. The Apple hate on this site is Epic.[/citation]

that;'s because apple is deserving of that hate. come up with one reason why they arn't deserving of hate.

[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Amazed such an ignorant comment could get so many likes. Actually, I'm not. Par for the course on most forums.Case in point: Apple attempted to license their patents to Samsung BEFORE the lawsuit was filed. Microsoft has already licensed those same patents from Apple for the Surface.So much for your BS comment about Apple not licensing.[/citation]

you are leaving out the fact that , Apple also DID NOT have the patents yet, they were still pending when they tried to get samsung to pay up. secondly any one who patents a freaking RECTANGLE with round edges , is an a-- deserving of the utmost torments the rest of the world can throw at them. and the guy that eventually gave apple the patents for a round edged rectangle , should have his balls chopped off and fed to hungry aligators. The fact MS licensed the patent later speaks volumes for how stupid MS is for bascially validating apple patenting a rectangle. and you deserve to have your head stuffed in an oven till it's well done for defending apple.

now on topic , google should get reemed over their dirty tactics.

Status
Not open for further replies.