Report: Graphics Cards to Receive 10-15% Price Increase

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latvietis96

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012

damn ur right lol
i hope i wont have to upgrade from the 7970 anytime soon

InvalidError

Titan

The fundamental principles and structures between mainstream DRAM generations has been largely unchanged in the past 15+ years since the introduction of synchronous DRAM. Little more than die shrinks, voltage reductions, clock speed range increases, interface clock multiplication and relatively minor tweaks to the electrical protocol itself are the only things that separate modern DRAMs from their ancestors.

Even FBDIMM, RDRAM, XDRAM and other fancy memory types rely on the exact same internal structures as ancient DRAM types. The only difference between DDR3 and GDDR5 is they rip out the DDR3 front-end and replace it with GDDR5. Neither is 'based' on the other, they merely share the same fabrication process and ancient general structure.

Ken Havens

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
I've noticed that companies like Corsair/ Gskills/Patriot tier their memory pretty heavily. I mean do we really need 6 different memory types that are almost identical excepting the heatspreaders and binning process. 400 dollar 16 gig at CL 9 3000 mzh XMP profile is a little crazy.

As the speeds go up prices tend to also, even more so than timings. That ofc can be changed in bios but getting it stable is another story.

SlitelyOff

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Noticed that as well, a few months ago I could get some 8gb of 1600mhz DDR3 for $40.
Unfortunately (about 9 months ago now?) I saw some 4x4GB RAM packages for $79 at MicroCenter...Needless to say I am kicking myself in the arse for NOT buying them then, thinking (they will go down more.) Now the same exact package is over $180

InvalidError

Titan

While 16GB for $80 may sound nice for the consumer, from the DRAM manufacturers' perspective this is very bad because they are selling at a loss just to keep their inventory rolling hopefully until demand picks back up. When a manufacturer loses their bet (ex.: Elpida in 2012), they end up either bankrupt or sold off and prices jump back up as the surviving manufacturers finish clearing their excess inventory and start recovering from their losses so they can survive the next DRAM market crunch.

There used to be 20+ DRAM manufacturers. Now we are down to one major manufacturer (Samsung) and a handful of significant others.

I'm glad I got 32GB for $180 before prices started ballooning - I'm used to spending over $400 maxing out RAM on my PCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.