Report: GTA V to Have AMD Mantle Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxiide

Distinguished
I think I might be more excited that there's an untitled Mass Effect game on that list ;)
Is this really news to everyone? At first I thought it was just an inattentive article author, but in the comments too! Setting aside the fact that Bioware had talked about a new Shepard-less, Frostbite-based Mass Effect game months ago, did you guys miss E3 as well?

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
I think I might be more excited that there's an untitled Mass Effect game on that list ;)

I just wish they allowed Shepard to be a part of it...I had a lot invested in that character since ME1, and

(SPOILER ALERT)

one of the endings of ME3 shows shepard drawing a breath

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
They need to figure out which processesing tasks create a CPU bottleneck. In many games there are a number of non graphical related tasks which only use a single core and often bottleneck the game causing low frame rates while having low GPU usage (in addition to a drop in CPU usage (e.g., watchdogs, the non VRAM related lag spikes are often paired with a low GPU and CPU usage with 1 core maxed out) They need to check, can they have a video card handle some of the non-graphical work, and if so, will a low cost one handle it better than the average gaming CPU. e.g., someone buying a $100 GPU in addition to their main card.

Or come up with a way to dynamically allocate CPU and GPU resources for when a game is unable to fully use the GPU. e.g., TF2 will hit around 250+ FPS while only using around 70% GPU usage, why not offload some CPU tasks to the GPU so that even higher frame rates can be had along with better use of both components.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010

Or come up with a way to dynamically allocate CPU and GPU resources for when a game is unable to fully use the GPU. e.g., TF2 will hit around 250+ FPS while only using around 70% GPU usage, why not offload some CPU tasks to the GPU so that even higher frame rates can be had along with better use of both components.

are you seriously going to use that as an example?

i mean your right who cares that my monitor can only display 144FPS making anything over that pointless. I want to stress my hardware to 100% resource usage all the time. Who cares that it increases my chance of hardware failure, who cares that it will cost me a fortune in electricity because i can go around boasting about how awesome my computer is that it throws out so many useless frames

G

R.A.G.E. ? I expected them to use Euphoria again, it was truly, truly outrageous.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

Mantle is still in closed beta. Although its usable in games its closed in development as to whom may use it and what not. You should take notes of where the slowness starts and write a summary and ship it either to the developers of the game or AMD themselves to assist with its production. Not using it is an option to if the prior suggestion doesn't suit you.

i have r9 270 and i tried mantle and i saw mantle causes lags . 3 fps many times. and it decreases quality of envoronment

This is a Frosbite engine issue, not a mantle issue.
for some reason their implementation of mantle uses more Vram than directx in comparison causing higher detail settings to attempt to use more ram than your gpu has.

it is still better to use lower graphics details and remain within your gpu memory limit for the smoothness and responsiveness of mantle than having everything on high.
it is far smoother and more responsive than sticking everything to low on directx.

If you have a low end CPU, that would help to give you about a 10-15% advantage but if you have a decent high end CPU (most current i5/i7s) then it wouldn't matter as much.

It has already been stated that Mantle is not supported on the consoles as of yet nor would they actually benefit from it since the PS4 has their own API based on OpenGL that is low level and of course the XB1 wont use it since they will be upgrading to DX12 when it comes out.

As well, even if it was on the PS4 the optimizations wouldn't necessarily carry over to the PC. In fact since the API would most likely be customized to the specific hardware, in order to get the most performance out of it, it would probably still need separate optimizations for PC, especially considering the PS4 is Linux based.

RAGE is the game engine that has been used in games since GTAIV and later. Euphoria is the animation engine and it is part of RAGE. It is being used in GTAV but it is not the game engine, RAGE is.

Funny how the first developer who was pushing Mantle and worked closely with AMDs Mantle team and was part of this massive large advertising campaign is having issues with it.

It may be their implementation but still it doesn't look good and I doubt AMD would have allowed that issue to happen. They were using BF4 as a massive advertiser since it is a very large and popular game.

It may just be that Mantle is a new API and AMD is new to that area so there are going to be issues, much like DX11 had a few issues in the beginning but were smoothed out and now every game is DX11.

ThreatDown

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2008
Mantle in BF4 works great here (i5-2500, amd 280x). I got very significant increase in minimum FPS in bf4 multiplayer, no more drops to 40 fps whenever looking at certain areas on certain maps, always consistently above 60fp on high settings, much more consistent fps overall. Very impressed with it so far. I'd be quite happy if gtav included mantle support.

Status
Not open for further replies.