Report: Haswell-E, X99, DDR4 to Arrive August 29

Status
Not open for further replies.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
5960X has a bit lower base speed which is nothing to worry about because has 8 cores / 16 Threads and more L3 cache and for sure that generates a bit more heat. I have 3930K 6 core and it crazy good to have more than 4 cores especially if you do some intensive shit.

oh du, I completely forgot that the 5960X is a True Octo core cpu.

InvalidError

Titan

Based on the last roadmaps I have seen, Skylake-S is supposed to come out in the second half of 2015 just like Broadwell-K unless Intel decides to delay Skylake.

Only caveat with Skylake-S is it will not initially have any unlocked models.

Geez 140W TDP. What's the point of making a K series? You're not going to get much more out of that.

The current Ivy Bridge has a higher clock rate and 130W TDP. Even the 10 core 3Ghz Xeon E5-2690 is 130W.

Does Haswell-e do more work per cycle? It looks like a step backward to me. TDP should be going down and clock up.

moar moniez from an h.e.d.t. sku where power and heat aren't necessarily issues.

max. 8 cores, redesigned cache bus, "proper" gen 3.0 pcie implementation, ddr4, higher (regardless how much :p) ipc in mainstream softwares etc.

haswell-e will likely have higher ipc, so lower clock and more cores should help.

it's not a step backwards. tdp woulda gone down if intel managed to reduce power use and heat in the same 22nm process or fabbed hsw-e on 14nm.

Innocent_Bystander

Honorable
May 2, 2013
I was just going to do a build with an i5 4690...should I hold out?

I'm thinking not... this one might be marginally better but it doesn't look like a game changer (no pun intended)...

InvalidError

Titan

At this stage where single-thread performance appears to have hit a ceiling, the only way to scale performance up significantly is adding cores but for that to go anywhere, programs have to be written accordingly.

Until then, AMD and Intel could make 16-cores mainstream CPUs and it would make almost no difference for most people since there is so little everyday software that actually makes meaningful use of more than two or three threads at a time.

I can write software with 50 specialized worker threads but I rarely have more than two or three doing any useful work at any given time. The rest of the time, they are just sleeping on a semaphore or event/signal for something to do.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Intel Corporation today reported second-quarter revenue of $13.8 billion, AMD has inched closer to profitability yet again. Revenue for the quarter came in at $1.44 billion.
How can AMD compete with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.