Report: IBM in Talks to Buy Sun Microsystems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I wonder what that would mean about the feature of SPARC. With so much engineering talent all grouped together, I bet we'd see quite a few new processor technologies.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]I wonder what that would mean about the feature of SPARC. With so much engineering talent all grouped together, I bet we'd see quite a few new processor technologies.[/citation]

sparc will be added to ibm's product line.

if you go to ibm's website you see that is basically what they do when they aquire someone. basically it will be become ibm sparc.

they will continue to support it while there is a market. they will continue to evolve it, develop it, ect...

the bigger question is for solaris, ibm will want to have aix for sparc.

big changes are in stored for java and netbeans. it will be ibm java and ibm netbeans. hopefully netbeans and eclipsed merged. so we will see an improved eclipse with mattisse visual editor

ibm has a long history of commitment to it's hardware, software, applications and services it provides. with the fall in value of sun stock they have not had the capital to do big things with java and netbeans. it's been sad, not having java keepup with microsoft and .net now they can, they will have the money, a company committed to creating great products and excellence now they have a lot of good ibm software developers to evolve the language, to do the things that sun could not afford or not envisioned. i do feel bad for some of the sub employees who will not be able to hangle the culture shock, i mean from sun hippies in tshirts, shorts and sandles high on weed who don't show up to work or come in after lunch because they were playing or smoking some shit well past midnight to ibm professionals in suites who come in on time ready to play. microsoft needs to watch out.

cruiseoveride

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
Arent there some serious anti-trust issues here? Am i the only person who thinks this is a really bad idea?

IBM will become the next Microsoft at this rate.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
i hear virtual box and open office are winners that ibm would love to have, can you say ibm virtual box, ibm open iffice, personally i think that good software like virtual box, open office, java, ect may benefit from being handled by ibm. then again it maybe the kiss of death through neglect. it's hard to tell, the first thing is what will happen with all the developers that are left, there will be culture shock, politics, reshuffling, reoganizing, if too many people leave it maybe over for all these products, just visit the ibm website and look for some of the products that ibm has acquired. then again if the developers stay and the pool of ibm developers join in whole heartedly then it may be a good thing, microsoft needs to watch out, they me have the ibm running after it with a comprehensive product line, all these products for free or cheap in cheap ibm boxes, laptops, desktops, ect. microsoft software need not apply, microsoft may need to get in hardware biz or lower its prices which equates to it having less money..., lowers it's stock price. ibm could control the whole thing, from cpu, ect...

crymsonpheonix

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
IBM has great open-source support. My hope, and money, rides on IBM making JAVA an open source offering, continueing support for SPARC and VirtualBox, as well as making VirtualBox more friendly to the community that uses it. to IBM open source is like having unpaid developers. the only question is what they will/would do with Solaris. on the one hand Solaris is readily availible on HP and Sun server hardware, and it has an opensource side and the ZFS file system (I hope they'll open-source that too), and is dependable and secure, whereas I can't think of anyone but IBM who uses AIX, and even they use other things too, like SUSE Linux for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.