Report: IBM to Pay $7 Billion for Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Sun's server business is dying but their services are strong. IBM wants more influence on their related open source projects also. Sun's a bargain now compared to what it was worth two years ago.

Greatwalrus

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
mmm, can't wait to download some IBM Java.

:\ I hope they keep the name Sun.

[citation][nom]4c1dr41n4[/nom]Yeah, you can read Sun four times in that tilted square.[/citation]

I never realized how amazingly awesome their logo is.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
...does this mean r.i.p. Openoffice? ...I hope that IBM makes openoffice better or at least doesn't start neglecting it or oppressing it.

G

I'd recommend everyone to at least download and save their (working) copy of SUN Java.
You never know if IBM will start charging or perhaps creates something worse!
I got my version safe and sound on my HD!
And just in case IBM will do a better job for free, I'll switch over to IBM!

Greatwalrus

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]idisarmu[/nom]...does this mean r.i.p. Openoffice? ...I hope that IBM makes openoffice better or at least doesn't start neglecting it or oppressing it.[/citation]
Man I hope not, that's a life saver for me.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]idisarmu[/nom]...does this mean r.i.p. Openoffice? ...I hope that IBM makes openoffice better or at least doesn't start neglecting it or oppressing it.[/citation]

Open Office was an awful idea from a business standpoint. Why the hell would you give away all that software with little to no advertising at all? If IBM keeps Open Office it most assuredly won't be the same as it used to be.

I really could care less anyways because I get Office Enterprise for free but it is nice to HAVE open office for those situations where I am away from my computer.

Greatwalrus

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Open Office was an awful idea from a business standpoint. Why the hell would you give away all that software with little to no advertising at all? If IBM keeps Open Office it most assuredly won't be the same as it used to be.[/citation]
Umm, it's called Open Source Software?

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Why the hell would you give away all that software with little to no advertising at all? If IBM keeps Open Office it most assuredly won't be the same as it used to be. [/citation]

Hmmm, Sun and IBM are both quite active members in the Open Source community, I don't see why IBM would try to change it. It's a product that has proven stable and good enough for use for personal or enterprise purposes.

Actually I think now IBM would peddle the thing more since it would bring more attention to Java, Sun and also IBM. (Since now IBM could attach their logo to it).

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
[citation][nom]joeman42[/nom]Unfortunately is more like it. If Sun collapses into nothingness their entire catalog of IP either vanishes along with it or worse, gets bought at auction by an SCO or Rambus like litigation house.You are letting your prejudice for IBM cloud your judgement. Even if IBM chooses not to advance Sun's wares they more than likely will provide some sort transition plan to those affected, which is far, far better than could be expected otherwise. At worse, benign neglect.[/citation]

Don't mistake me here, I love Big Blue. I would just rather see Sun acquired by someone on the other side of the street, so competition ergo innovation is not stifled. IBM + Sun is a lot of Unix under one roof. Antitrust wouldn't be far behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.