Report: IE10 Most Secure Windows 8 Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neverdyne

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Pretty impressive, if they only made IE as responsive and fast as Chrome I would consider switching, but as it stands for "experienced" users like I who spend more time than the recommended daily dose on the internet, we probably know how to protect ourselves fairly well already; though I can see how this could add value for the average consumer. The people who don't know when to pull out of a dangerous website should get protection strapped to them I guess.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Neverdyne[/nom]Pretty impressive, if they only made IE as responsive and fast as Chrome I would consider switching, but as it stands for "experienced" users like I who spend more time than the recommended daily dose on the internet, we probably know how to protect ourselves fairly well already; though I can see how this could add value for the average consumer. The people who don't know when to pull out of a dangerous website should get protection strapped to them I guess.[/citation]

IE is already pretty fast, loading time differences between browsers on a good connection aren't really noticeable.

What gets me is the features the browsers provide. That's what attracts me.
If we compared by speed, Opera would probably win.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
[citation][nom]Neverdyne[/nom]Pretty impressive, if they only made IE as responsive and fast as Chrome I would consider switching, but as it stands for "experienced" users like I who spend more time than the recommended daily dose on the internet, we probably know how to protect ourselves fairly well already; though I can see how this could add value for the average consumer. The people who don't know when to pull out of a dangerous website should get protection strapped to them I guess.[/citation]

If they dont mind getting a more intrusive and, overall, slower browser, then I think its fine.
I've lost count of the number of PCs filled with bloatware and spam from unexperienced clients I've had to repair/optimize, so I think its the right choice. Windows 8 is an OS planned for the consumer anyway, power users and gamers probably dont receive very well all this... noobish(?) stuff W8 comes with

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
The report is about browsers filtering/blocking reportedly malicious web sites and downloads. Quote:
That means nineteen out of twenty socially engineered malware attacks against Firefox and Safari users will end up testing the user’s antivirus and/or operating system defenses.
Apparently their idea of "security" is web filtering, built into the browser itself, to make up for deficiencies in an anti-virus product or the OS. I'd rather train the users better and use a separate security product or filtering proxy service.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I don't really consider blocking websites and downloads based on a blacklist makes a browser more secure. Less vulnerability against zero-day browser exploits and the such should be the true benchmark.

These days even the best protection is almost useless. The thing is that even safe webites have a chance since all the ads tend to come from the same area.

As for speed, IE and Chrome are within milliseconds of loading pages. Its like saying a GPU that plays a game at 61FPS is fastert than a GPU doing the same at 60FPS, not noticeable enough.

Overall I like how MS is pushing to keep IE safe and integrating ore saftey features by default (such as the do not track) as it helps those who are not as internet savvy.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]These days even the best protection is almost useless. The thing is that even safe webites have a chance since all the ads tend to come from the same area.As for speed, IE and Chrome are within milliseconds of loading pages. Its like saying a GPU that plays a game at 61FPS is fastert than a GPU doing the same at 60FPS, not noticeable enough.Overall I like how MS is pushing to keep IE safe and integrating ore saftey features by default (such as the do not track) as it helps those who are not as internet savvy.[/citation]
Chrome is still a bit more responsive than IE. Firefox, meanwhile, is absolutely terrible in comparison.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
It probably doesnt mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, but on the RTM Win8/IE10 system I ran it on, IE10 was the fastest at Sunspider 0.9.1, dipping into double digits for the first time I've ever seen---IIRC, it finished in like 85ms on my i7-3770K. Nothing else came close, not FF16, not Chrome (latest).

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
It probably doesnt mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, but on the RTM Win8/IE10 system I ran it on, IE10 was the fastest at Sunspider 0.9.1, dipping into double digits for the first time I've ever seen---IIRC, it finished in like 85ms on my i7-3770K. Nothing else came close, not FF16, not Chrome (latest).

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]IE is already pretty fast, loading time differences between browsers on a good connection aren't really noticeable.What gets me is the features the browsers provide. That's what attracts me.If we compared by speed, Opera would probably win.[/citation]
It's a world of difference between IE 8 and Chrome. I mean, the Dark Ages vs. Star Trek difference. For those who still use Win XP, like many businesses still do, there is no option for IE 9 or IE 10. Chrome on the other hand is 1000x better than IE 8 in both speed and protection against malware.

wheredahoodat

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
I don't believe it, with every NSS labs "study" I sometimes load up my virtual machine to see if IE was as good as they say. It isn't, more like 60-ish percent or lower with the my small sample of malware links on any given day. It is still a lot better than very undependable Google Safe browsing api that Chrome, Firefox and Safari uses, but it is absurd that they claim 99.1 percent of malware samples.

Also in terms of zero day browser exploits windows, IE is the worst according to Krebs security "If we count just the critical zero-days, there were at least 89 non-overlapping days (about three months) between the beginning of 2011 and Sept. 2012 in which IE zero-day vulnerabilities were actively being exploited."

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I still prefer Chrome and getting people to switch to that instead of using IE or Firefox now days. Very simple reason why I do dispite them all have good security. Chrome forces auto updates to you, you are pretty much guaranteed to be using the latest version of Chrome if you are using it doesn't matter if it is your computer or your friends it is up to date. Can't say the same for IE or Firefox and an up to date browser is more secure than an out of date one.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
I honestly use whatever browser I want that offers better performance and usability. As for browser security 99.999999% of that is controlled by what is between the ears; don't have a good one of those then I suppose security is more of a problem then huh?

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010

Dude, have you tried IE10 on Windows 8 x64? That this IS the fastest browser yet on my PC and laptop. Personally I'm an Opera and Maxthon fan, but this time, IE10 took the lead. About the smoothness, you can feel it's there, is just not that smooth yet. Nothing a few updates can't solve though.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Firefox 16 is dead last on smoothness. The UI still hangs, for Christ's Sake. Them Chrome for my. The missing "smooth scrolling" is almost a show-stopper for me. And the flag for it is crap. Then I would say Opera 12.10 (not the terrible, stable current brach 12.02), and finally IE10.

About security...yeah, for quite some time, Microsoft has been pushing IE (since v9) for it's security.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]IE is already pretty fast, loading time differences between browsers on a good connection aren't really noticeable.What gets me is the features the browsers provide. That's what attracts me.If we compared by speed, Opera would probably win.[/citation]

its more about how you use the browser, than how responsive it is.

i open several hundred tabs in firefox, and no other browser can handled that.
moveing from 3 to i believe nightly 8 was a HUGE step, moving from 8 to waterfox 10 was another gigantic impreovemnet, and now im considering the move from 10 to 15

under normal use, all the browsers are about the same, its when you take it to an extreme that you see a difference.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I've always used and liked IE. IE9 is pretty good, very fast, has nice developer tools and a better UI than the others. I don't like those stripped down UIs that don't even give you a home button without 15 minutes of customizing. Stupid. IMO

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
It doesn't matter HOW secure IE is. Fact remains, it's still interlinked with the OS, which makes it unusable.

As for Chrome, it forces autoupdates. I like to keep track of and control my software updates. Thus, Chrome is unusable. Seriously people, if you want a good webkit browser just like Chrome but without the botnet and forced autoupdates, pick Comodo Dragon.

Opera - well 11.xx was good. 12.0x is currently bad; they released it too early. I'm hearing good things about 12.10 though, so I'm waiting eagerly to try it when it is released.

Firefox obviously has the most UI lag. It has a few other annoyances that I can't seem to remove as well. However fact remains, it works better than other browsers in most circumstances, and has the best extension support. I just wish they'd implement multi-processing and give an option to enable/disable it to the end users. If I save a file and explorer freezes for a few seconds in the 'save as' dialog, I'm stuck. Can't switch tabs and continue browsing. With Chrom*/webkit mainline browsers I can switch tabs if one of them freezes.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]It doesn't matter HOW secure IE is. Fact remains, it's still interlinked with the OS, which makes it unusable.As for Chrome, it forces autoupdates. I like to keep track of and control my software updates. Thus, Chrome is unusable. Seriously people, if you want a good webkit browser just like Chrome but without the botnet and forced autoupdates, pick Comodo Dragon.Opera - well 11.xx was good. 12.0x is currently bad; they released it too early. I'm hearing good things about 12.10 though, so I'm waiting eagerly to try it when it is released.Firefox obviously has the most UI lag. It has a few other annoyances that I can't seem to remove as well. However fact remains, it works better than other browsers in most circumstances, and has the best extension support. I just wish they'd implement multi-processing and give an option to enable/disable it to the end users. If I save a file and explorer freezes for a few seconds in the 'save as' dialog, I'm stuck. Can't switch tabs and continue browsing. With Chrom*/webkit mainline browsers I can switch tabs if one of them freezes.[/citation]

Does it really matter that IE is interlinked with the OS? The browser itself it secure, and Windows 8 has the most security features yet. So no problem.
For another GREAT webkit browser (or against every other browser) I would recommand Maxthon.
Opera 12.10 will rock your world, when it will be released.
Firefox....I can't stand it because of it's UI lag. But 2 things can't be denied. State-of-the-art extension support and the best memory optimisation of any browser (though IE10 is strong challenger)

Status
Not open for further replies.