Report: Intel Announcing New Atoms in Dec.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rrockman

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
[citation][nom]El_Capitan[/nom]Yeah, mine was on sale, with stackable coupons applied. You can get spare parts not just laying around, but you can get them cheap by trading for parts if you know where to look. I'm well aware $525 is above the netbook market, but my notebook that's $125 (forgot to mention the 14.1" HD screen) over the $400 market netbooks is a great deal. So, enlighten me, what are the netbooks purpose?[/citation]

Hahaha... Pretty clear you didn't get it, we all see that.

I'm writing this on a 9" netbook that is my primary machine since August 2008.
First of all it was the only PC I could afford, but much more than that, it was the most desirable, because of its battery life, because it is 9" and can thus fit in a very small backpack or be carried comfortably by hand (I go to university with my netbook by hand most days), and weights less than 1 Kg, which is the best feature if you ask me or anyone that like me lives with these little PCs on the go.

Since you speak of tuning PCs to get the most out of them, I can pretty much assure you that my system is at least twice as responsive as your theoretically more powerful one because I know how to deploy Linux from scratch, choosing only the components I want and basically controlling used memory down to the single Kilobytes. I have 512 Mb of memory and I can do so many things at once with them that I even don't use virtual memory anymore, saving life time for my 8 Gb internal SD memory, which also is by far enough since I leave all my data at home, on a Fit-Pc2 server always on consuming 7 Watts and basically letting me access all my files from anywhere in the world (dynamic dns is my friend: the machine has a comfy fixed URL linked to its dynamic IP).

You started the discussion blaming someone of being a "netbook fanboi", but you basically demonstrate to be the fanboi type yourself, just opposed to a concept instead of supporting, IMHO.

alexie

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
The main problem here is the chipset i think. You're making a 8W CPU and sell it with a chipset which consumes more than 30W. I think Intel needs to make a new chipset for these CPUs to get better netbooks. Also North and south bridge can be put together in single chip i think.
So let's wait for new netbook chipset from intel against Nvidia's ION.

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]rrockman[/nom]Hahaha... Pretty clear you didn't get it, we all see that. I'm writing this on a 9" netbook that is my primary machine since August 2008.First of all it was the only PC I could afford, but much more than that, it was the most desirable, because of its battery life, because it is 9" and can thus fit in a very small backpack or be carried comfortably by hand (I go to university with my netbook by hand most days), and weights less than 1 Kg, which is the best feature if you ask me or anyone that like me lives with these little PCs on the go.Since you speak of tuning PCs to get the most out of them, I can pretty much assure you that my system is at least twice as responsive as your theoretically more powerful one because I know how to deploy Linux from scratch, choosing only the components I want and basically controlling used memory down to the single Kilobytes. I have 512 Mb of memory and I can do so many things at once with them that I even don't use virtual memory anymore, saving life time for my 8 Gb internal SD memory, which also is by far enough since I leave all my data at home, on a Fit-Pc2 server always on consuming 7 Watts and basically letting me access all my files from anywhere in the world (dynamic dns is my friend: the machine has a comfy fixed URL linked to its dynamic IP).You started the discussion blaming someone of being a "netbook fanboi", but you basically demonstrate to be the fanboi type yourself, just opposed to a concept instead of supporting, IMHO.[/citation]
I'm hardly opposed to it. Perhaps if I was back in school studying and living off of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches I might need something to write my notes in that wasn't a pen and a paper notebook. Of course, spending $300 on a glorified note-taking device was probably something that would have helped me get through those years making me look cool.

Oh wait, knowing how to deploy Linux from scratch takes such skill! My, installing an open source operating system is so difficult, a good think you're in college, our world could use such smart people as yourself.

Your system is more responsive because it doesn't do anything but load your basic applications that you can't do anything with otherwise because of either a lack of processing power... not to mention Windows XP would provide longer lasting battery life over Linux. Hey, if you want to get into Linux and netbooks, start a thread, I enjoy a good prattle about something I've worked on for 8 years.

rrockman

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
[citation][nom]El_Capitan[/nom]I'm hardly opposed to it. Perhaps if I was back in school studying and living off of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches I might need something to write my notes in that wasn't a pen and a paper notebook. Of course, spending $300 on a glorified note-taking device was probably something that would have helped me get through those years making me look cool.Oh wait, knowing how to deploy Linux from scratch takes such skill! My, installing an open source operating system is so difficult, a good think you're in college, our world could use such smart people as yourself.Your system is more responsive because it doesn't do anything but load your basic applications that you can't do anything with otherwise because of either a lack of processing power... not to mention Windows XP would provide longer lasting battery life over Linux. Hey, if you want to get into Linux and netbooks, start a thread, I enjoy a good prattle about something I've worked on for 8 years.[/citation]

First of all, your first statement is negated by what followed it, so yes, you're clearly opposed to it, or (if you prefer) you don't like it, and (surely) you want to discredit it.

No, you can't surf the internet nor do image manipulation, watch movies, or use Geographical Information System software on a note-taking device. Netbooks can do pretty much everything you can do on every PC, as I was explaining, the matter is knowing how to do that.
If you speak of Windows XP giving better battery life than Linux, you clearly speak of pre-made Linux distributions, thus ignoring what making a Linux system from scratch actually means, despite the 8 years you declare to be working on the subject. In fact, how do you think possible, not to mention logic, that a tailor-made system, with tools ranging from manual, event-driven and scheduled control over cpu, disk, display, and memory, with a log-based file system, can be beaten by a general purpose OS with a general purpose power-managing service and a fragmentation-prone file system that wastes disk rotations each day more than the previous one? Come on.
Now that i think of it, maybe it's because even if I'm a "peanut butter and jelly sandwiches" college student (that's more like Italian food of first quality, each day, at half the price of your peanut butter, here in Italy), at 23 years old, I have 10 if not 11 years of experience with Linux and more than that with computers in general.

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]rrockman[/nom]First of all, your first statement is negated by what followed it, so yes, you're clearly opposed to it, or (if you prefer) you don't like it, and (surely) you want to discredit it.No, you can't surf the internet nor do image manipulation, watch movies, or use Geographical Information System software on a note-taking device. Netbooks can do pretty much everything you can do on every PC, as I was explaining, the matter is knowing how to do that.If you speak of Windows XP giving better battery life than Linux, you clearly speak of pre-made Linux distributions, thus ignoring what making a Linux system from scratch actually means, despite the 8 years you declare to be working on the subject. In fact, how do you think possible, not to mention logic, that a tailor-made system, with tools ranging from manual, event-driven and scheduled control over cpu, disk, display, and memory, with a log-based file system, can be beaten by a general purpose OS with a general purpose power-managing service and a fragmentation-prone file system that wastes disk rotations each day more than the previous one? Come on.Now that i think of it, maybe it's because even if I'm a "peanut butter and jelly sandwiches" college student (that's more like Italian food of first quality, each day, at half the price of your peanut butter, here in Italy), at 23 years old, I have 10 if not 11 years of experience with Linux and more than that with computers in general.[/citation]
I'm opposed to netbooks being hyped for the casual user, and those that aren't casual users supporting it for things it can do that the casual user doesn't. Just getting into hardware specifics, for $125 more, you're getting more bang for the buck for anyone that's not a "casual" user. You just described everything you can do on an Apple Ipod Touch, but you don't need a backpack for that.

Building a LFS system, while useful in many ways, still consists of a lot of management. Yeah, it's fun to keep up with it, but honestly, I can spend my time doing something more productive than keeping my OS in check. I'll let the mechanic change my oil for $20 for the convenience of me not having to to it (if I had a car).

Good for you kid, use that logic in your head to learn something more than maintaining an OS for surfing the internet and watching movies.

rrockman

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
It doesn't need maintenance once set up well, I can't do nearly anything of that on an iPod touch, save from surfing the internet and watching movies IF putting it just right in front of my eyes, and as I said, it's not only a matter of bang for the buck, it's a matter of portability. When I'll have 125$ more, I'll buy a netbook costing 125$ more but with nVidia ION so that I can use GIS software with CUDA acceleration. But I still want my system to be as portable as a 9 (maybe 10) inches netbook of 1 Kg. Not more, not less than that.

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
True, if you spend time automating it, it's not as bad. Spending half a day to figure out what's going on sometimes just isn't something I look forward to happening.

The Ipod Touch has Google Maps and mapNinja, debating whether or not they're GIS or not, is another topic. I'm no Apple fan, but gave my gf an Ipod Touch, and it's quite an interesting product. It's also being utilized by the military for a lot more usage for field ops.

Regardless of handhelds, netbooks, or notebooks, I guess we can agree on one thing, it all depends on why and how we're using them.

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]superblahman123[/nom]Atoms are pretty slow, but they're not designed for speed, just the ability to fit in a small socket on a tiny motherboard. Nothing more, nothing less.The fact that they're introducing Hyper-Threading into the smaller chips will give them a stronger hand (not that they need it) in the netbook market. The fact that they also give 64-bit support begs the question when they will carry 64-bit operating systems. With most high-end ones carrying SSDs, throwing in 64-bit support will make these babys fly something fierce[/citation]
blah-man, indeed.

christop

Distinguished
I wish my netbook was dual core and had a graphics card. I know its not a power house and is not supposed to be either. It beats lugging a 15 or 17 inch laptop on trips.. I love the small form factor..

carlhenry

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
well el_capitan proves his not a netbook fanboy but a netbook hater.
netbook's are not entirely a piece of crap, its usefullness are.. (rrockman has stated most if not all..). i dont have a netbook but would prefer to have one simply becoz - my notebook is heavy, and bringing a huge bag is quite bothersome - compare that to a netbook and bring your usual bag (backpack or whatever not that bulky lappy bag).

i guess you have your lappy as a desktop replacement thats why you see the netbook useless?

do you have a desktop?

G

Captain:

Unlike you... I do have my own car and I do pay 20$ to do my oil changes cuz I dont feel like doing them. I don't live on peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches and I have 2 laptops. A 14.1 inch Athlon X2 and a Mini Toshiba. I have a stable job, my own apartment and I can afford most of my things

I spend most of my day at work and most of my nights at school (st my 2nd career).

I carry my netbook all day long and it is extremely useful for watching movies and accesing information on the net. Also does extremely well for the basic programing and paying bills.

Last week I let my friend borrow my netbook for a few days cuz he was desperate and his computer wasn't working. Then I ran in a pinch and I was forced to take my 14.1 inch laptop to school. That thing is heavy as hell... also I feel it is gonna break or scratch everytime. Just a big pain if you ask me. I rather take my netbook than that laptop.

Netbook are CHEAP and PORTABLE.
Laptops could be CHEAP but will never be as PORTABLE

boe

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2004
I know about the graphics and the power consumption but I'm concerned about SPEED a bit more. I just set up a Vaio X laptop for a client and it was very sleek but too slow at 2GHz even using and SSD hard drive. Any news on faster atom procesors or 64bit Atom processors? I heard the new pine view atoms are only going to be 1.6GHz and 1.8GHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.