News Report: Intel Battlemage arriving in 2024, Arrow Lake will consume 100W less power than 14th Gen, overclocking unaffected by latest Raptor Lake mic...

ThomasKinsley

Prominent
Oct 4, 2023
"The updated process [node] will eleminate[sic] previous high voltage issues, ensuring stability."
I'm trying to wrap my brain around this sentence. I suppose it's already known that 13th and 14th gen defects are at the hardware level, but can a microcode fix genuinely solve it without causing any performance penalty?

Reactions: NinoPino

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The concept is that the voltage asked for was spiking up higher then it was supposed to due to errors in the Thermal Velocity Boost code. So allowing excess voltage while the CPU was hot.

A fix is as simple as preventing those voltages from being called for until the CPU temperatures are normal. As long as the CPU boost behavior remains similar, performance impact should be minimal.

It doesn't solve the damage that was done though.

Also, yay Battlemage! I have high hopes for a AsRock B770 as a replacement for my 3080 Ti. I want to put my last EVGA card up on a shelf.

Reactions: thestryker
Aug 8, 2024
I'm trying to wrap my brain around this sentence. I suppose it's already known that 13th and 14th gen defects are at the hardware level, but can a microcode fix genuinely solve it without causing any performance penalty?
Hypothetically, if the only two issues were indeed the via oxidation issue that supposedly was fixed and elevated voltages, then it would be down to silicon lottery whether there'd be any downsides in terms of performance due to microcode changes. Some CPUs may not boost as high as a result while others may not see any differences outside of potentially running cooler. Ultimately we'll have to see - I'm certain there's more changes outside of the eTVB fix that we're not being told about yet, until people get their hands on updates, who knows what could happen.

Reactions: rluker5
Aug 8, 2024
Why would Intel, an American company, reveal its secret plans to a Chinese journalist at an even no one's ever heard of?
These are all good guesses and they might turn out to be true but that doesn't mean this person knows what they're talking about

Reactions: NinoPino

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
If the main cause of progressing instability is exposure voltages over 1.5v then AMD has this known hardware defect much worse. 1.35v can cause parts of their chips to explode. And we don't even have to mention Nvidia. Could you imagine one of their GPUs at 1.5v?

But really, it isn't already known that 13th and 14th gen are inherently defective at the hardware level. Why are you passing that conjecture off as established fact? The exact causes and extent of damaged hardware from each is not yet determined.

Reactions: thestryker
We'll have a good idea as to the baseline Battlemage performance when LNL launches next month. Personally I'm more interested in whether or not they've solved the hardware issues that Alchemist has had which cause its performance to vary wildly than overall performance increase. Just one of those things where if it's 50% faster than when it performs lower than a 6600 this isn't a big leap compared to if it's 50% faster than when it performs like a 3070.

As for ARL power consumption I doubt it'll be that much lower in desktop form unless comparing unrestricted RPL. I just don't see Intel going. from ~250W to ~150W parts so if that does happen to be true it'll be workload specific. There are a lot of things they may be able to do dynamically to lower overall power consumption though. I base this opinion on a couple of RPL facts:
  • APO has shown higher performance with lower power consumption
  • It's possible to tune the power consumption to meet or exceed AMD's efficiency in heavy/light workloads, but not both at the same time