Report: Intel Delaying Support for USB 3.0

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]wintermint[/nom]Grrr bad move Intel but a delay could be a blessing in disguise[/citation]
Maybe...

Though USB connectors on everything would be sweet...
1080p/60hz/8 Bits video requires 4.5Gb/s, USB 3.0 is 4.8Gb/s... get my point here? (Though this is ignoring a audio stream.)
I also want a universal port for my net, hell, even my HDDs...

Just make USB integrated into the PCIe, make it a fiber optic cable, and give it 10-20Gb/s, and I'll cream myself in a public place...

bunz_of_steel

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Intel... you suk! always have but not talkin bout your products, just your stupid corporate money hogs practices. Intel stands to make more money by investing in.. then that's what they will do. No surprise really. Buutttt then queue AMD.... Your turn please and rest assured retail will follow!!

TSM

sparky13

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Bunz_of_Steel[/nom]Intel... you suk! always have but not talkin bout your products, just your stupid corporate money hogs practices. Intel stands to make more money by investing in.. then that's what they will do. No surprise really. Buutttt then queue AMD.... Your turn please and rest assured retail will follow!!TSM[/citation]
What?

kelfen

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
"Currently Intel is focused on supporting the company's first processor architecture to use an integrated memory controller"

Does this mean there putting an intergraded SDD on the motherboards making them uber fast ?

bunz_of_steel

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
early morning guess I should have more coffee. What I was TRYING to say was Intel is going to put their priority where they stand to make the most money with consumer's a second thought. If AMD was to step up to the plate the retail market - buyers would sell it and we the consumers would buy it! I know I could definitely use an increased bandwidth moving files around. Hope not to confusing if I'm still confusing then, I'm just ranting trying to wake up still, thx :)

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Well thats too bad if true.I mean we don't really need the speed (6.8Gbps) but it would be nice. As long as it doesn't get rushed and cause problems when it comes out.[/citation]

The spec has been finalized so you don't have to worry about the rush. This is Intel spreading themselves too thin. Personally I do say there is a major need for USB3 I'm sick and tired of crappy transfer rates of external harddrives on USB2. eSATA is no substitute.

[citation][nom]kelfen[/nom]"Currently Intel is focused on supporting the company's first processor architecture to use an integrated memory controller" Does this mean there putting an intergraded SDD on the motherboards making them uber fast ?[/citation]

No it means instead of putting the memory controller (which controls the RAM) on the north bridge it is directly controlled by the CPU, this almost eliminates the latency that was had previously. This technology isn't new it's been around for years pioneered by AMD.

SATA 6 gig wont by around til mid to late next year at best. Before I left the storage industry they were just working on 6 gig SAS controllers. It takes a while to go from business/corporate use to comercial use. But as TH has showed us, the performance benefits of a 6 gig drive isn't that great.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]Your comprasin is actualy way off here.. each one of those things LIKE USB 3 was a universal standard "upgrade" they got rid of pci for agp for video then agp for pci e. memory advanced all these advancements and changing to them is different then deciding to not adopt them. Besides having a single universal port is much nicer then 20 different ones. i cant say i have personaly used any of those slots in the past few years. maybe pci more recently but yeah.[/citation]

Actually AGP was just for graphics that's why its called the Accelerated Graphics Port. PCI went to PCIe hence the name. Every standard gets changed and upgraded. I'm actually suprised to see PCI slots still on motherboards because PCIe has been out for a bit now.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
[citation][nom]MamiyaOtaru[/nom]I sure hope not. N-key rollover is not possible over USB. USB remains an inferior connection for keyboards. The number of people with n-key rollover capable keyboards is vanishingly small, but I'm one of them and so a mobo without PS2 is unacceptable.[/citation]

The limit of 6KRO on USB is an issue with the Windows HID keyboard driver. It is more then possible to get full NKRO with custom drivers. In fact it has been reported by users that the Razer Tarantula can get 15 keys with the standard Windows HID drivers.

There is no more need to PS2.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
It could be that Intel doesn't want to saturate their current bus with USB 3.0. However, given that SATA 3.0 standard is pretty much here, eSATA devices will be using the SATA 3.0 specs 6 Gb/s interface walloping the 4.8 Gb/s USB 3.0 standard. I doubt that too many external storage boxes will be USB 3.0 only by then, eSATA will continue to steal market share in the external storage and RAID enclosure market.

Uncle Meat

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]Ummm no.Southbridge looks after any USB ports, all data doesnt have to travel to the CPU (dedicated bus anyhow), and USB's arnt via the PCIe bus.[/citation]

All data has to travel to the CPU when you have an integrated memory controller. The DMI bus between the Southbridge and the CPU on LGA 1156 systems is basically a PCI-E x4 v1.1 interface, which would not have enough bandwidth to support more than 2 USB 3.0 ports.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
this shows the strength of Intel's hold on the chipset business for its platform. Who are the remaining players now? Is Via still in (licensing issue)? Is nVidia planning to exit? I think AMD is already out.

l_r_c_t

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Of course they will push back their support on the USB 3.0, the executives noticed that they can squeeze the USB 2.0 a little bit more (for a whole year) in terms of profits.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]dheadley[/nom]How would Intel adopting Light Peak as their next advancement for connections be any different than the move from PCI to AGP to PCI Express? USB 3.0 is not established in the market as a universal standard yet. In developing USB 3.0 they came up with the idea for Light Peak and they themselves seem to think it is a better technology. So why would they have any need of going forward with USB 3.0 at this point? If they have both technologies at the same stage development, why not choose one and make that your next step? They are the biggest maker of motherboard chipsets in the world, if they say Light Peak is it, peripheral makers are not going to go with AMD or VIA to get USB 3. They will start making Light Peak hard drives, peripherals and USB to Light Peak hubs etc.. If there is a better technology developed before the next iteration of a series is released that new version may never catch on in any great degree. just look at Firewire 800 and will there ever be a Firewire 1600 and 3200 as planned, or the fiber based 6.4 version talked about. Nothing says USB has to continue on at all.[/citation]

Its alot different.. if say USB 3 isnt a standard yet thats only yet it will be auniversal standard for all hardware makers. not just intels prapiatary you have to pay us buttloads to put it on your devices connection. sure intel may put that on thier boards but as far as im concerned unless its a open universal standard its not going to be market dominating. Look at firewire for instance. No nothing says USB has to continue but for now it is. What will replace it IMO remains to be seen. I personaly havent been a big USB fan but right now there is nothing i can do about it.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]tester24[/nom]Actually AGP was just for graphics that's why its called the Accelerated Graphics Port. PCI went to PCIe hence the name. Every standard gets changed and upgraded. I'm actually suprised to see PCI slots still on motherboards because PCIe has been out for a bit now.[/citation]

Im aware AGP is only for graphics i should have made that more clear on what i was trying to say there..

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]truerock[/nom]The next external HDD I buy will use USB 3.0[/citation]

I would never buy a USB Hard drive.. USB is to slow and laggy right now. even memory sticks are pretty slow. but thats not exactly all USB's fault

Status
Not open for further replies.