Report: Intel Developing Four New Pentium CPUs For Q2'13

Status
Not open for further replies.

wavetrex

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Yawn.
Dividing the low end market even more...

I miss the days when you would choose a CPU by it's frequency number:

Pentium III 600 was definitely slower than Pentium III 800

Now ? The numbers are meaningless.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
They should really quit the pentium for their newer architectures.
Crappy old stuff does not even support execute disable bit, a very useful safety feature even for the entrance level.

spartanmk2

Honorable
May 11, 2012
[citation][nom]wavetrex[/nom]Yawn.Dividing the low end market even more...I miss the days when you would choose a CPU by it's frequency number:pentium III 600 was definitely slower than Pentium III 800Now ? The numbers are meaningless.[/citation]

I know right... I remember looking at the ads on sunday and seeing month by month processors going up by 100Mhz... still remember going "wow!" when I saw one of the first computers advertise with 1Ghz processor xD

[citation][nom]annymmo[/nom]They should really quit the pentium for their newer architectures.Crappy old stuff does not even support execute disable bit, a very useful safety feature even for the entrance level.[/citation]
[citation][nom]Omar Hxs[/nom]This would of been real exciting in 1999[/citation]

These Pentiums are Ivy Bridge i3s without Hyper-Threading and sometimes a few other minor differences. They aren't old and they will kick the crap out of even stuff such as Core 2 Duos. Also, they do support execute disable bit.

[citation][nom]hydac7[/nom]This is boring , too many low end models with irrelevant and confusing naming and numbering , how about making something interesting like selling Xeons for the price of an I5 or something ..[/citation]

Intel does sell some LGA 1155 i7-like Xeons in the i5 price range of somewhat under $200 to somewhat over $200.

[citation][nom]wavetrex[/nom]Yawn.Dividing the low end market even more...I miss the days when you would choose a CPU by it's frequency number:pentium III 600 was definitely slower than Pentium III 800Now ? The numbers are meaningless.[/citation]

Frequency doesn't mean performance, so marketing CPUs by their frequency wouldn't really matter, especially considering the confusion it would bring up in comparing CPUs of different performance at similar frequencies. The added complication of how Turbo frequency (especially different versions of it) functions would make this even more useless. So, marketing by frequency would be more meaningless than the current numbering system which at least usually gives the generation and a few other pieces of info (meaning that it is in fact not meaningless anyway).

benji720

Honorable
May 24, 2012
I have to disagree with posters who don't see why these are important CPUs. Their Pentium-branded CPUs definitely fill a niche market and offer great price/performance for people who want fast Intel processors but don't want to spend a bunch of money.

ujaansona

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
[citation][nom]benji720[/nom]I have to disagree with posters who don't see why these are important CPUs. Their Pentium-branded CPUs definitely fill a niche market and offer great price/performance for people who want fast Intel processors but don't want to spend a bunch of money.[/citation]

+1

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Intel should give us a 3.5Ghz version or faster.

I have been waiting for a cheap upgrade from core 2 duo 3.2GHz. Core 2 quad is still ridiculous overpriced, any dual core isnt exactly beating Core 2 quad yet.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
All four Pentiums are dual-core socket LGA1155 chips with integrated video cards
I know this is getting into semantics but when the graphics technology is directly integrated into the processor die they should be referred to as "Graphics Processing Units". Video cards are only "Video Cards" when they're on a physical PCB.

Intel's i3s can beat many Core 2 Quad CPUs and at least match the top models, if not beat them too. Most of the LGA 1155 Pentiums and Celerons are still great yet cheap upgrades coming from a Core 2 Duo, granted with Haswell seemingly right around the corner, it might be worthwhile to wait and see if the situation improves even more with Haswell.

pyro226

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Why is the G2020 2.9 GHz listed so much cheaper on newegg ($65) compared to the G2120 3.1 GHz ($80)? The only difference that I notice is that 200 MHz and the G2120 lists cooling solutions as heatsync fan. But the G2020 (item no N82E16819116886) would come with a heatsync / fan too, right? The exclusion of the heatsync / fan would explain the price difference. Does anyone know for sure if the G2020 above listed comes with heatsyn/fan?

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Intel's i3s can beat many Core 2 Quad CPUs and at least match the top models, if not beat them too. Most of the LGA 1155 Pentiums and Celerons are still great yet cheap upgrades coming from a Core 2 Duo, granted with Haswell seemingly right around the corner, it might be worthwhile to wait and see if the situation improves even more with Haswell.[/citation]i3 did not beat the top core 2 quad yet in multi-threading, and i3 price isnt really cheap as well, it cost as much as a used core 2 quad, add in a RAM change + mobo change, that is nowhere near cheaper than changing core 2 quad alone.

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
probably meant to be used for low end office machines and cheap home desk tops although with such low TDP they could be very useful as HTPC processors.

hector2

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
[citation][nom]wavetrex[/nom]I miss the days when you would choose a CPU by it's frequency number:pentium III 600 was definitely slower than Pentium III 800Now ? The numbers are meaningless.[/citation]
That's the Integrated GPU frequency, not CPU

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]dthesleepless[/nom]"Integrated video cards?"Seriously?[/citation]
I hear you. Seems he is a new writer.
Gone were the days that proof reading was serious, now - need to cut cost...

Those CPUs don't even have integrated GPUs.

On Ebay, the cheapest Core 2 Quad/Extreme that I could find that even has a chance of not being beaten by a decent i3 in even highly threaded performance was a QX6850 for $160. That's cheap enough for an i3 paired with a new 4GB DDR3 memory kit and a cheap motherboard to almost fit in and the power savings can easily cover the rest given a few months to a year (granted probably not much else).

Going for a top LGA 775 Core 2 Quad to keep i3s at bay in highly threaded performance would mean going up to around $250 for a QX9650 and even then, the top LGA 775 Core 2 Quad/Extreme isn't found until over $300. So, i3 is clearly winning on the price front, at least on Ebay. IDK about other sites.

The huge lightly threaded performance improvement is also noteworthy.

ron baker

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
these are great Procs .. I love the low end grassiums. Went from c2d 6750 to g530 for almost exactky the same performance. But I can drop the vid card for even greater elec savings. thank gaiea for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.