Report: Intel to launch Ivy Bridge on April 8

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

@stm1185
The 7970's price is set 50$ above the GTX 580, the only single card on the market currently that can compete with it.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]DarkNecroT[/nom]@stm1185The 7970's price is set 50$ above the GTX 580, the only single card on the market currently that can compete with it.[/citation]
Yea...in regards to current performance, it should be priced correctly. I'm sure the price will drop just below the 780 when that comes out, though.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]Wait wait wait! I heard from the numerous AMD fanboys posting here that without AMD being competitive Intel would jack up their prices, yet here we see Intel leaving prices practically the same with around ~$330 for the high end quad core unlocked cpu.While at the same time AMD is replacing their previous generation top end 6970, which cost $370 at release, with a 7970 which will cost $550, increasing the cost by about 50%! because Nvidia won't be able to compete for a couple months.So while Intel will be without real competition for many months if not years they are not jacking up prices like the AMD apologists scream; while AMD itself jacks up the price when given even a few month window of superiority.[/citation]

I love kids that troll trolls and somehow don't think its trolling...

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
i guess i can wait 5 months before i upgrade my old intel q6600 rig. i was thinking about upgrading (new build not cpu only update) it to i5 2500 or i7 2600. that should be a pretty good boost going from 65 nm 2.4 ghz kentsfield to 22 nm 3.4 ghz ivy bridge (i5 3570 or i7 3770).

i was going to upgrade my amd 1090t build to bd but decided to wait for pd instead. :(

yes, i maintain both an amd and intel rigs. :p

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]Wait wait wait! I heard from the numerous AMD fanboys posting here that without AMD being competitive Intel would jack up their prices, yet here we see Intel leaving prices practically the same with around ~$330 for the high end quad core unlocked cpu.While at the same time AMD is replacing their previous generation top end 6970, which cost $370 at release, with a 7970 which will cost $550, increasing the cost by about 50%! because Nvidia won't be able to compete for a couple months.So while Intel will be without real competition for many months if not years they are not jacking up prices like the AMD apologists scream; while AMD itself jacks up the price when given even a few month window of superiority.[/citation]
this is because of the 28nm process, the whole new architecture, the great increase in performance which passes the Nvidia 580 GTX which is priced similarly

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
hmmm...apart from the apparent lack of i3s and pentiums, i also notice that there are no more P-series chipsets.

I guess i'll wait for haswell though...my yorkfield chip serves me fine for now...

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]notsleep[/nom]i guess i can wait 5 months before i upgrade my old intel q6600 rig.[/citation]I was in the same boat. I upgraded my motherboard and memory and dropped in a $100 Black Friday i3-2100 as a placeholder. I am sitting pretty ready to jump on IB when it comes out!

Side note: Moving from 4 physical cores to 2 HT cores was a weird experience. My system is slightly faster but my per-core usage is higher. Having 8GB of this newfangled DDR3 is a real treat though, have fun with your upgrade!

chaos133

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
My Core 2 Duo E7400 is plenty for me. I don't see me upgrading for at least 3 more years unless if the motherboard or CPU dies before then. If I was planning to upgrade to Ivy Bridge I would wait for a couple of months after it's been released so they can iron out any bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.