Report: iPad 5 to Debut in October

Status
Not open for further replies.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
The whole "generation" name is completely stupid. When you come out with a NEW model, you need a NAME to be able to tell others what you have or know what you have in order to know if the game or software will work, or tech support.

Anyone with a normal brain will simply call them the iPad4, iPad5, etc...

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]emike09[/nom]And nobody really cares.[/citation]

except for the millions of people who make the iPad the number 1 tablet in the world.
Oh wait, you can add up all the other tablets made by every other company and its still less than people who want an iPad. So obviously a lot of people do care.

to mainstream users, this does matter. to 99% of us on this forum, not at all. true say that iPads > all the other tablets in sales numbers, but you can never do things on it like you can on android or otherwise

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Is having virtually no left or right bezel really a good thing on a tablet? How are you supposed to hold the device without engaging the touch screen?

... you're holding it wrong?

nah, I'm sure they've thought things through this time.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]Is having virtually no left or right bezel really a good thing on a tablet? How are you supposed to hold the device without engaging the touch screen?... you're holding it wrong?nah, I'm sure they've thought things through this time.[/citation]

there is the otter box cases with the handle on the back and keyboard docs, but yea some breznel i agree is a good thing. I am always for new tech and if apple makes a new ipad that lowers prices on the old ones that means more competition which is good for the market assuming they do what they usually do and offer the old ones at a discounted price. mayeb it will drive prices of other large tablets like the nexus 10 or asus transformer tabs down a few $

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Again, more people on a forum that seem to have nothing but time on their hands and nothing constructive to say about an upcoming product.

What was that? Toyota making another Camry, didn't they make one last year... and doesn't the new one look like the last year model too?

Give me a break, this is how any business works!

Now that I had nothing better to do but respond to this post, I will get back to work now!

DirectXtreme

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]The whole "generation" name is completely stupid. When you come out with a NEW model, you need a NAME to be able to tell others what you have or know what you have in order to know if the game or software will work, or tech support.Anyone with a normal brain will simply call them the iPad4, iPad5, etc...[/citation]
So what you're saying is that nomenclature should go something like this?: iPad 5350 (first generation), iPad 5432 (second generation), iPad 5434 (3rd generation), iPad 5540 (4th generation) or this?: iPad (first generation), iPad DC (second generation), iPad R (3rd generation), iPad RF (4th generation). That seems a lot more convoluted compared to a simple generation nomenclature, which sticks well with consumers looking for the latest and greatest and works well for Apple seeing as how they have one subcategory for their phones (iPhone) and two for their tablets (iPad and iPad Mini).
What IS stupid is that Apple can't properly adhere to a generation-based nomenclature for the iPhone, i.e.: iPhone (first generation), iPhone 3G (SECOND generation), iPhone 3GS (THIRD generation), iPhone 4 (fourth generation), iPhone 4S (FIFTH generation), iPhone 5 (SIXTH generation). They also did something similar with the iPad: iPad (first generation), iPad 2 (second generation), iPad (THIRD generation), iPad (FOURTH generation). Oddly, they never did use any sort of prominent model identifier for their Macs since the transition to Intel CPUs (i.e. they just named everything "Macbook", "Mac Mini", "Mac Pro", etc. regardless of the hardware it contained).

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I'm not sure how shrinking down the left and right bezels is supposed to be a good thing. Apple's design team is really slipping lately.

With the iPad 3, they put too high of a pixel density screen into the device too soon, resulting in minimal performance improvement vs the iPad 2, and overheating problems. With the iPad Mini, they chose a retarded aspect ratio, making the tablet too hard to grip, forcing the bezel to shrink down, which actually made the problem even worse.

Now they plan on cutting the bezel down on the larger tablet, even though with a tablet at that weight it'll make holding it a nightmare.

Someone needs to be open hand slapped over at Apple.

tonkotsu

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]Is having virtually no left or right bezel really a good thing on a tablet? How are you supposed to hold the device without engaging the touch screen?... you're holding it wrong?nah, I'm sure they've thought things through this time.[/citation]

Unlike android, Apple has thumb rejection. So unless your thumb happens to hit an app everytime you hold it, it will work just fine.

tonkotsu

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]I'm not sure how shrinking down the left and right bezels is supposed to be a good thing. Apple's design team is really slipping lately.With the iPad 3, they put too high of a pixel density screen into the device too soon, resulting in minimal performance improvement vs the iPad 2, and overheating problems. With the iPad Mini, they chose a retarded aspect ratio, making the tablet too hard to grip, forcing the bezel to shrink down, which actually made the problem even worse.Now they plan on cutting the bezel down on the larger tablet, even though with a tablet at that weight it'll make holding it a nightmare.Someone needs to be open hand slapped over at Apple.[/citation]

ios has thumb rejection. /story

G

If they had released it in March there would have been alot of really pissed off Ipad 4 owners is why.

CDdude55

Distinguished
I walk around aimlessly with a large sum of money in my hand waiting for Apple to announce anything.

Going to send an email to Apple telling them to stop innovating so much, we don't deserve it. They're products are like family members,you have brother, sister, Iphone and you can't put a price on a family member, but if you could, wouldn't it be around $299.99 with a 2 year contract?

/sarcasm.

[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]except for the millions of people who make the iPad the number 1 tablet in the world.Oh wait, you can add up all the other tablets made by every other company and its still less than people who want an iPad. So obviously a lot of people do care.[/citation]

So what? Sheep have been known to follow each other right off a cliff in a mass heard too. That is the definition of the dumb mAss. Just because the dumb mass uses Apple and enjoys getting bent over for every single little iComponent required to use these things to their full capacity, doesn't make it a great thing. Most of the people I know - including a few in my own family - use Apple products because they are easy and user friendly. They either don't have the time or aren't smart enough to use PC and Android based products. And just like the pompous Prius drivers, Apple fanatics think their sh!t doesn't stink.

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
I think I already heard this "virtually no bezel" on TVs and it's very very visible.
If it is indeed a really small side bezels, does it mean that your fingers will definite always cover part of your screen unless you hold it by the top/bottom or from the backside only?

Status
Not open for further replies.