Report: Microsoft Marketing Bans Purchase of Apple Products

Status
Not open for further replies.

PennyLife

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Microsoft didn't ban employees from purchasing Apple products, they banned employees from using company money to buy Apple products. That does not seem to unreasonable to me. I'm sure many companies have similar policies.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Microsoft is probably worried that anyone seeing an iPad or iPhone will realize what trash Microsoft sells. Then again, the punishment for doing this should be to work on an MacIntosh. Then they'll realize what trash Apple sells. I can see why people buy iPads and iPhones, as they are pretty good products. The Mac is over priced and has way too many problems. I don't see how it makes people more productive.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
I am not surprised in the slightest. We're just a couple headaches (more) away from sending out such a notice ourselves at our organization. iDevices and Mac desktops/laptops have to be shoehorned to work in a corporate (Microsoft) network, and even then, the result is less than desirable. When having to deal with privacy laws, having an iPhone/Pad with iCloud enabled is questionable at best, and there's no mechanism to ensure it can never be enabled. And that's just one example.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
To be completely honest, WHO would actually work somewhere (like microsoft) and bring in competitor products? (like apple)
Personally if I worked for MS and brought in an iPad or something, I'd feel stupid/embarrassed/ashamed even if I liked the product more than what my company offered. It'd just seem weird... at least IMO

fiduce

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Microsoft has played it's worst move lately. Saying that WP7 was not intended to beat IOS (but Android) was silly.
Apple is about to launch an office suite on macs. They will ban Microsoft from their hardware.
Silverlight is dead. WP7 is dying.
Windows is moving to a place where it's opponents have much better weapons (Metro). Metro will only make Windows's users ready to jump to another OS (on the desktop/laptop). THEY ARE IN FACT PUSHING THEIR OWN DEATH.
This strategy is silly ... and I'm not even sad.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
IMHO, this is pure PR. In the back room, where they tear apart each crApple product that comes out, the budget and purchasing power for crApple products is unlimited.

The public face of M$, however, has to look mean and tough. No girlie crApple products allowed.

mrmez

Splendid
Fear leads to the dark side.

M$ employees are obviously buying them because they like them better. Don't ban them, just make something better.

Or is that too obvious?

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
[citation][nom]obsama1[/nom]Well, Google gives its employess Macs.[/citation]

They use chrome books, but windows mostly except when coding related to android in which case they use linux of some form (hence why the SDK comes out on linux before other OS's).

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]mrmez[/nom]Fear leads to the dark side.M$ employees are obviously buying them because they like them better. Don't ban them, just make something better.Or is that too obvious?[/citation]

They can't. Isn't that obvious?

frostyfireball

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Makes perfect sense IMO.

Although I feel all MS employees directly involved with the creation of their products should use Macs, iDevices and Android devices on the side atleast a little to get a feel for what does and does not work in their competitors products. That way they can take their products in the right direction and sort of learn from their competitions mistakes.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]obsama1[/nom]Well, Google gives its employess Macs.[/citation]
I think they have a combination of Mac, Windows, and Linux. That makes sense, given they want to be fair (for instance, making Motorola, which they own, bid along with all the other device manufacturers for android stuff) and they don't have any desktop OSes anyway (and chromebooks are useless for actual work).

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Microsoft does not need to comment on the letter...they can do whatever they please, it's their company and no one should tell them how to run it. Every company has rules, if people don't like the rules they need to leave.

wardoc22

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
I have a friends whom dad works at microsoft. His dad gets so many new things since he works in the department where he compares ms products with rival companies. I personaly thinks this is a bad idea since employees wont be able to tell without going out and buying things with their own money if their product is able to compete with other products on the market, especially apples

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]ammaross[/nom]I am not surprised in the slightest. We're just a couple headaches (more) away from sending out such a notice ourselves at our organization. iDevices and Mac desktops/laptops have to be shoehorned to work in a corporate (Microsoft) network, and even then, the result is less than desirable. When having to deal with privacy laws, having an iPhone/Pad with iCloud enabled is questionable at best, and there's no mechanism to ensure it can never be enabled. And that's just one example.[/citation]

Mobile Iron should fit the bill nicely. May want to have a look at that if you are having issues managing Android and IOS devices.

phych

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2005
Doesn't make sense to me. If a device has most of the market share, why wouldn't you develop for that device? Not developing software for the most popular platform that seeks it's products (especially Office) is missing out on a lot of income.

If I was running a company, I wouldn't let anyone waste my money on Apple products either. And if they owned a Mac or an iPhone on their own, I wouldn't hire them in the first place, because it would tell me they're probably flaky, technologically inept, and bad with money.

Status
Not open for further replies.