Report: New Intel Desktop Chips Coming Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

No wonder. Fry's was having a sale - core i7 930 + a Tom's recommended x58 mobo for like $380. Yay upcoming price cuts!!

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
When will we see a 32nm Quad for the 1156 socket. They still don' have one for the 1366 socket. I want a quad with the efficiency overclocking abilities of 32nm. Still waiting. Intel Dual cores had this advantage for a while.

geossj5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
[citation][nom]paigeinfull[/nom]Good news but the 970 is way too expensive[/citation]

ya but its way more than what hardcore gamers would need
its more for CPU intensive tasks and heavily multi-threaded apps

boosterfire

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
Meh. Intel is so awful with their names, it's like they're trying to confuse people. I don't get that for any update on their CPU they have to change the name by an increment of 10. Just leave it be, and call it v2 or something. Now you get 920, 930, 940, 950, 970, gosh.

paigeinfull

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
[citation][nom]geossj5[/nom]ya but its way more than what hardcore gamers would needits more for CPU intensive tasks and heavily multi-threaded apps[/citation]
Why does everybody here think a cpu is just for games? Believe it or not they do serve other purposes. I do a lot of encoding, I would love to put a realistically priced hexacore in my 1366 mb but I'm guessing that won't be happening now

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]jonpaul37[/nom]Very nice prices for the i5-760 & i7 - 950, now if i can only get a raise at work...[/citation]I just got a raise... didn't help much.

[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]More than 800 dollars for the 970?!Intel please, get real!Seriously, If I were them, a good 600 dollars would be good. The 980 would be about 780 buck: Realisticaly.[/citation]

As long as they have no real competition at the high end, they have no real incentive to drop the pricing. Intel's Nehalem based hexacores are unmatched for multithreaded performance, and anyone who actually needs that performance is usually willing to pay $800+ for it. For everyone else, they have other, cheaper quad cores that are still incredible. Don't expect the hexacores to drop in price until either Intel releases something new on the very high end, or until AMD actually brings out something that can compete.

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
This article highlights one minor reason I don't use Intel- they feel the bizarre need to release countless sub-iterations of each chip they have on the market. All of which will become obsolete, motherboard-wise, within a couple years. Because Intel will eventually decide to switch to yet another socket format before they really need to.

Plus, they want to charge $800 for a hexacore. Screw that.

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Dirtman73[/nom]This article highlights one minor reason I don't use Intel- they feel the bizarre need to release countless sub-iterations of each chip they have on the market. All of which will become obsolete, motherboard-wise, within a couple years. Because Intel will eventually decide to switch to yet another socket format before they really need to.Plus, they want to charge $800 for a hexacore. Screw that.[/citation]

Agreed. If people want to spend money, spend it on something worth while, like..... $1000 AMD 12-core Opteron?

Some people are like but the socket is so huge....and I am like...and?

zeroabg

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]geossj5[/nom]ya but its way more than what hardcore gamers would needits more for CPU intensive tasks and heavily multi-threaded apps[/citation]
and nutbar's who just have to have the best everything, any i7 cpu is more than you'll need.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
i7 920 is still all anyone really needs imho. I haven't hardly even tapped the one I have sitting here. lower prices is where it is at. I still game on core2duo and it is fine. laptop deals with i7 are interesting to me but $1k is a lot of money in this economy for anything now.

"rooket, i7 920 is still all anyone really needs imho."

Your opinion is wrong. Many people that read toms actually use PC's for work, not games. Every advancement is welcome if it allows me to create "stuff" in less time.

Or to put it in terms for rooket, wouldn't you want the game delvelopers to have these really fast hexa core CPU's so they can get the game to you in a shorter amount of time? Over simplified but I think it made the point.

atdhe

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Actually, his statement is pretty accurate JamesSneed, and I would go even further to say that you don't need more than an i5 750, or 760 now for that matter. You don't need an hexacore CPU unless you are some kind of a freak with 5 OS running simultaneously and with 30 tabs in your browser and tons of other things...

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Yes causing having more CPU power then needed has ever stopped hardcore gamers from buying top end CPUs :p

Status
Not open for further replies.