Report: New Version of Apple's AirPlay to Work without Wi-Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johmama

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Careful, Apple might have a patent on this technology.

Wait....

Well I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to sue themselves over this.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]superblahman123[/nom]Did they really have to reinvent Bluetooth?....[/citation]
I don't think this has anything to do with bluetooth. Airplay is supposed to connect via wifi or ethernet. Also, airplay is supposed to support multiple connections (to separate airplay-compatible systems in your house, for example across multiple rooms)--most bluetooth adapters can't handle this very easily. And bluetooth doesn't have the best range or barrier penetration.

It sounds like it's just a further push to iCloud, where your content is streamed through apple servers instead of through your local network. So regardless of what network your playback device might be connected to vs. the speakers, you can stream your stuff anywhere. The Airplay-compatible speakers have wifi or ethernet (as far as Apple's own site discusses AirPlay)--My guess is instead of looking for music on the local network, it all goes to and from Apple servers.

I bet ISPs that charge overages are going to like the sound of this (pun intended).

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Johmama[/nom]Careful, Apple might have a patent on this technology.Wait....Well I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to sue themselves over this.[/citation]

Keep it up. Apple will patent babies and will eventually use them all for cheap labor. Feed the machine!!! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.