Report: New Xbox Will Require Constant Web Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
I just built an HTPC and it's amazing. It's like having a beyond-next-gen console right now. There's no way in hell I'll ever buy another M$ console where you have to spend 20 of their stupid "points" every time you push the X button.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Sick of all the rumors, why can`t they just keep there mouths shut till the console is launched, and what difference does it make you find out what it has or not got or requires.

stellato12

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
"They also mentioned 8GB of DDR3. and 8GB of DDR3 RAM."

So it's got 16GB of DDR3 RAM? Daaaaaaaamn son!

Or do you just suck at proof reading?

Retrowire

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
This just in, Microsoft gives a big middle finger to all people that have data caps, or no internet connection whatsoever.

They're probably doing it to protect themselves from piracy or whatever (license key's and all that jazz) but come on, the world can only afford so much BS.

aarnoldupenn

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
What are you talking about.... I've had 360 since day one not used points once. PC games have expansion packs too that cost 20 dollars?

Suzaku

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
[citation][nom]stellato12[/nom]"They also mentioned 8GB of DDR3. and 8GB of DDR3 RAM."So it's got 16GB of DDR3 RAM? Daaaaaaaamn son!Or do you just suck at proof reading?[/citation]
Wait even if it's just a typo, that means the next xbox will have more ram (even if it's shared with the gpu). I guess it's time to replace my aging pc oO.

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
If these specs are true Microsoft can count me out!

I really fear for Microsoft's future. I purchased a new Windows 8 tablet from Sony and while the hardware is great the OS and quality of apps are far from acceptable. I installed the latest Office and then quickly removed it, can't believe this piece of crap was written by the same company. Now crappy Xbox 720 specs that are nowhere close to next gen (1.6GHz with 800MHz GPU). I can see the 360 outselling the 720 for some time to come at this rate.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
I honestly can't see either Sony or Microsoft doing this, as much as they would LOVE to I'm sure along with the support of nearly every game developer/publisher. It just seems like consumer suicide. Look how much problems we've had with the DRM on the PC. Whatever wasn't killed by crappy games built for the PC that shifted gamers to a more entertainment oriented console, was utterly destroyed when DRM took hold after their BS claims sales declined because of piracy alone.

Doing the same with consoles could be the rebirth of the PC, as we've heard some say it's long overdue. In a down economy it's much harder to justify a $399 or $499 console price with mediocre guts when the previous two generations were somewhat revolutionary at their time and cost equally as much. Adding more fuel to the fire isn't going to make things better. Not to mention what happens when you tie a game to a console? Backwards compatibility for future consoles? Gone. Bringing your game to a friends house and not lugging around the whole console? Gone. RRoD forcing you to replace the console 3 times? Enjoy tech support. That's without even touching the Used Game portion. Ever want to play a game years later, but you lost the disc, scratched to hell, worn out, or sold it after you finished? Most of the time the only way to get old games is via the Used Game process.

Again. Don't think they'll do it, but they sure would love to.

old_newbie

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
If true, bad move M$. I understand its all business and I'm not against trying to prevent piracy or boost new game sales, but this aint the answer (persistent internet and disc activation codes). It only proves that M$ is still out of touch with the average gamer.

What they dont realize is that the second hand market contributes to new game sales. The reason why early adopters wantonly plop down $60 for new games is partly because they know they can recoup some money on the resale of the game in the used market...and that recouped money helps fund the purchase of their next new game. Take that away and gamers will be VERY selective of the games they buy (I buy this game and that's it...cant sell it, loan it, or do anything else with it). This means LESS new game sales, where M$ sees revenue.

The only way I can see to overcome this (and keep these supposed restrictions) is to cut new game prices 30-40% or start their own used xbox game market (sell activation codes). Just my $.02.

heero yuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
well if this is correct then thats one console i am not getting but its a just a rumour
there are still alot of people out there that do not have an internet connection and even those with not all of them have their console in an easy place to connect it to the internet

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]pacomac[/nom]If these specs are true Microsoft can count me out!I really fear for Microsoft's future. I purchased a new Windows 8 tablet from Sony and while the hardware is great the OS and quality of apps are far from acceptable. I installed the latest Office and then quickly removed it, can't believe this piece of crap was written by the same company. Now crappy Xbox 720 specs that are nowhere close to next gen (1.6GHz with 800MHz GPU). I can see the 360 outselling the 720 for some time to come at this rate.[/citation]

Muh gigavolts and mega hurts are too slow! Didn't you guys know clock speed means everything?

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
If true then this is getting totally out of hand, When I buy something it's mine! If Microsoft wants to play this Anti-consumer game they will be shooting themselves in the foot.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
There's still a sizable market that doesn't have internet or doesn't care for having internet on the console. Cutting them off would be stupid.

Then again, Microsoft is doing plenty of stupid decisions lately.

deck

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
This would be a deal breaker for me. Even if I had 100% always on internet, I would not support this out of principle.

game junky

Distinguished
I am not going to believe anything until I hear it from Microsoft - at this point, it's all mere speculation. A next gen proc w/ next gen GPU is expected, a high-def media drive is a given, but I just can't see Microsoft requiring high speed internet for the system to function. I know their goal was to thwart the 2nd hand game market assuming (I don't agree with taking out a portion of your customer base) and the always-on internet connection makes sense if they want to use that for DRM but there are enough non-metropolitan areas of the country without suitable connectivity options that they would be cutting out a huge chunk of their customers.

If this indeed true, the only way they'll learn is when the mistake affects their pocketbook.

[citation][nom]pacomac[/nom]If these specs are true Microsoft can count me out!I really fear for Microsoft's future. I purchased a new Windows 8 tablet from Sony and while the hardware is great the OS and quality of apps are far from acceptable. I installed the latest Office and then quickly removed it, can't believe this piece of crap was written by the same company. Now crappy Xbox 720 specs that are nowhere close to next gen (1.6GHz with 800MHz GPU). I can see the 360 outselling the 720 for some time to come at this rate.[/citation]

The Radeon 7950 has an 800MHz GPU. Why you hating on 800MHz GPUs?

Also, the CPU might be decent for all we know. Getting clock frequency and core count doesn't come close to telling you how it performs, even assuming that this rumor is true.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
wheres the rumor it will also use a code to lock used sales?
or that every system will come with kinect... i think those two things are far worse than always on internet, considering microsoft makes SO much more money from a live account than non live, why should they care about people not online?

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I doubt MS and Sony would be stupid enough to require an always on connection; especially, after what happened with Sony having their servers down for close to a month. Can you imagine not being able to play your games for a month?

Anyway, that would probably slant the tide more toward PC gaming--especially with the Rift coming--and also open the door for more Kickstarter open-source game system projects, in my view.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]I honestly can't see either Sony or Microsoft doing this, as much as they would LOVE to I'm sure along with the support of nearly every game developer/publisher. It just seems like consumer suicide. Look how much problems we've had with the DRM on the PC. Whatever wasn't killed by crappy games built for the PC that shifted gamers to a more entertainment oriented console, was utterly destroyed when DRM took hold after their BS claims sales declined because of piracy alone.Doing the same with consoles could be the rebirth of the PC, as we've heard some say it's long overdue.[/citation]

Steam is really the one thing that has kept PC gaming going post DRM. Steam itself uses DRM measures and supports always online games. They just happen to do it in a more agreeable fashion. People without broadband internet connections aren't going to run to Steam, a service that is download based.

[citation][nom]bison88[/nom] In a down economy it's much harder to justify a $399 or $499 console price with mediocre guts when the previous two generations were somewhat revolutionary at their time and cost equally as much. Adding more fuel to the fire isn't going to make things better.citation]

Again, wishful thinking. If they can't justify spending $400 for a console to play games, they aren't going to spend $600 for a PC to play games. Even though a PC could handle other functions, the proliferation of internet enabled devices from smartphones, smart TVs, tablets, etc., make a PC unnecessary for casual use like Netflix and web browsing. Modern consoles, especially an MS branded one, are built to handle streaming services and internet browsing.

[citation][nom]bison88[/nom] Not to mention what happens when you tie a game to a console? Backwards compatibility for future consoles? Gone. Bringing your game to a friends house and not lugging around the whole console? Gone. RRoD forcing you to replace the console 3 times? Enjoy tech support. That's without even touching the Used Game portion. Ever want to play a game years later, but you lost the disc, scratched to hell, worn out, or sold it after you finished? Most of the time the only way to get old games is via the Used Game process.Again. Don't think they'll do it, but they sure would love to.[/citation]

What happens when your games are tied to Steam and you get banned? Gone. One of the Sony rumors actually had the possibility of a password based game system where you could log to the game at a friend's house. A PC can break just as easily as an XBox. The very concept of always online and DRM measures are tactics that the PC sector employed LONG beforehand and still employ, so I don't see anyone running to the PC to escape from it. If anything they'll run to the Wii U, which isn't barring used games or -forcing- always online connections. Nintendo caters primarily to their Japanese market, and the Japanese market isn't as supportive of these capitalist money grabs. They also dont like online purchasing, so forcing a license based situation would never happen on a Nintendo system.

[citation][nom]pippip[/nom]Because always on internet connection worked so well for D3............[/citation]

D3 sold over 10 million copies, worked pretty well the last I checked. EA and Activision consider gamers to be complete tools that will give them money so long as they use established franchises like WoW, Diablo, CoD, Warcraft, etc. So far gamers are proving them right. Get it through your heads and realize that you cannot buy games from companies like this. You can't even pirate them because they consider pirated copies to be "lost sales". I'd like to play the new SimCity, but I'm not going to give EA a single dime. I can play something else from a company with morals I support, like PoE.

Considering how often I hear them, I think there's some truth to the always on and banning used games rumors out of both Sony and MS. HOWEVER I think they're simply going to put the enable switch in for publishers to flip on and wash their hands of the whole thing. "Not our fault guys, EA/Activision is the one that forced always on in your games, not us!" Seems like a win-win situation for them, doesn't it? They can satisfy greedy publishers and avert the blame at the same time. Again, they feel you don't have a choice. If Title X is exclusive to MS/Sony, you're going to run at them with wallets drawn no matter what they do to you, because you have no choice. They own Title X. They own the people who made it. They have your drug so you'd better be ready to work for that next fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.